My Step Son makes we want to cry!!!!

Hi, I am Kayla, I am a newlywed, and I have two 2 Steps children. 19year old daughter who I am very close with are we are the best of buds!!!!! My Step son is a different story he is so mean to me, I try to be so nice to him, he use to be very shy and did not talk to me, and I try and chat with him and be his friend, they lost their mom 6 years ago. I know how tough it can be, so i am not trying to replace their moms I dont want them to lose their memory of her she seems like a wonderfoul soul!!!! But my step son is soo nasty and says such mean things, I am very insecure about my looks and body image etc.... He makes remarks about my looks my clothes my accent and my ethnicity, I feel awful and it hurts me because I want to love him and have an awesome realtionship, and because im sensitive to critisccim about my looks and body image. My husband corrects him and he hears it, which I appreciate it, but it gets so much worse when he isnt around. How do I get him to stop making these commens and start building a realtionship!!!

KaylaSTAR87

Asked by KaylaSTAR87 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Ask your DH, his Dad,for support and help with the step son's attitude. You are the adult and you do deserve respect.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• how old is the son? how old are you?
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You shouldn't be "best buds" with them, you should be a "parent" to them equally. You're not taking anyone's place, you're being a responsible parent. Treat them as your children, not their friend. JMO
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Just tell him you don't have to love me or even like me but you do have to respect me!! And don't tel him call you any names. He does it because he can.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• At 19, it's a little late for a step-mother, so a friend may be what she needs. No matter what the age of the son, he needs to learn to respect you and you need to demand that respect with your boyfriend/fiance and make sure son adheres with or without BF/F. He only does it cause he knows he can get away with it when Bf not around. GL
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 12:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• sorry!
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 4:15 PM on May. 19, 2011