TV in Bedroom?

5yo DD asked me when I was tucking her in tonight that if when she's a "big, big girl" she can have a TV in her room. I asked her who she knows that has a TV in their room and she mentioned a little boys' name in her class at school.

I've always said "not until 13" would my kids have their own TV. Of course now that I'm a parent, I understand you can't always just go by an age like that. But at 5? Why in the world does a 5 year old pre-schooler have a need for a TV in their room? Call me crazy, but I don't want my daughter off spending her entire TV time cooped up in her room away from the family.

When do you think it's appropriate?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 9:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree, 5 is too young. I'm not sure when is a good age, I guess every family/child/situation etc. is different. I was raised with parents who didn't really care so I had a tv at 3-4 yrs old and now that I'm a mom I can see that is too young.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My 4 year-old has one -- but only because we had an extra TV when moving and it was either that or give it away! She does not have cable and can only watch her movies on it -- on the weekend -- ONE -- and with my approval. She also can't reach it, so this works in my advantage! I would've waited until maybe 7 or 8? And then it would be a privelige that could leave as easily as it came!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My 3 year old has one. it is only hooked up to the vcr/dvd. It does not have cable.

i use it to help wake her of a morning and she watches it once in awhile but not often. Most times she wants to listen to her music cds on it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• For our family, it isn't ever appropriate to have a TV in a child's bedroom. Age is no factor.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I wont allow a TV in the bedroom. Didnt for my kid's and refuse for our bedroom. Bedrooms are for sleeping and sex. Not for lounging and watching TV.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I don't think that my little ones will ever have a television in their bedroom as long as they are at home. I think it is more reasonable as the kids get older but 5 seems a bit ridiculous. My niece has one in her room, the Princess Disney one and she is 5, my sister and I do not see eye to eye on the subject at all.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• my child will never have a computer or tv in their room. pardon me, a computer w/ internet access. for games and word processing a computer doesn't bug me.

a tv should be a social thing. watching fave shows or movies together. not to escape as a child.... tv will be here until the end of the world. childhood is short. priorities!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'm the only one with a tv in the bedroom, and I don't even use the thing. TV is a family thing for me in the evenings and I feel that the family should spend that time together watching shows that everyone enjoys. My oldest is nearly 10 and I still haven't allowed him to have a TV. Maybe when he's a teen, but that's a big maybe. I actually have a small 13" tv/dvd combo set up in the my closet for my kids that I've yet allowed them to have or know about.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• my kids are ages 17, 12 and 10 - we do not have tv's in the bedrooms. They have a play room with a tv, one in the living room and there is one in my bedtoom, that isn't used much. TV is more of a family thing, in my option -Not for my kids to hide away in thier rooms to watch. Thier rooms are also for punishment at time - grounded... And for thier own personal space...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• my son has had a tv since age 5. He's 8 now. He doesn't watch it before bed. We read together. He doesn't watch it during the week, we watch family programs together. He watches it on the weekends, but that's pretty rare, since we do a lot of family things and sports, then have a family movie night one night on the weekend. He has to ask permission to turn it on. his door is always open when tv is on. we monitor what is watched (some channels are not even programed into the tv yet....like MTV). the tv in his room is the least used appliance!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2011