HELP!!! baby only 6 months and milk seems to be Fading

Hi I have been strictly breast feeding my son since he was born up until he was about 5 1/2 months when my doctor suggested I start supplementing him with a bit of rice cereal. I had wanted to breast feed strictly untill he reached 6ix months, which is in a week... but since I have been supplementing him it seems as though my body isn't producing enough milk for him anymore. I try to put him on the breast as often as possible but he only feeds for maybe 2 minutes on each, then he gets really frustrated and I end up giving him a bit of cereal because I don't want him to go hungry! I have just started taking Fenugreek but am not sure that it's making a difference. I'm really upset because I have wanted to breast feed up to a year and thats looking like it's going to be a big stretch... I still nurse him through the night and I have no idea what to do if I can't nurse anymore... when do you know it's "over"?? Help!!

Katrink

Asked by Katrink at 10:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stop supplementing. He is fussing because he is trying to get your body to make more milk. Also, they go thru a growth spurt around this time so they are forcing your body to produce more.
    Just keep putting him on as often as you can.

Mine would cluster feed every 30 minutes or so everyday for about a week and then it was back to every 3 hours.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Oh and as long as he is getting 6 wet (not soaked) diapers in a 24 hour period, he is not starving.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• your stress level will have a lot to do with it...you can start pumping to help increase the supply too...I took Fenugreek and didn't see a HUGE difference..if he's not nursing as much that is why your body is adjusting...I knew BFing was over when my daughter drew blood 3 times from biting. She was 8 months old. I pumped until she was 13 months. Then I just couldn't do it anymore...if he's hungry why don't you try adding in solids?? Give him some mashed avocado..it was my daughters first food and she loved it. And it's healthy. Much better than just rice cereal. I would mash it then add some Breastmilk to it for consistency.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Mother's Milk tea

Get prescribed milk enhancement medication

Additional pumping is the best thing to do

Drink plenty of fluids but not too much juice which is a dehydrant or caffeine, especially peppermint which reduces milk drastically...

Exercise more I find it really helps

Do all that you can to reduce stress I find pilates to be the best, nothing like a good stretch :)

Hang in there my baby is 2mo 2wk 5days and I struggle to keep up too

Just do your best to keep your mind at ease because stress and feelings of guilt are the most detrimental things there are

Good Luck! :D
    LovableFox

Answer by LovableFox at 10:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• p.s. don't listen to the doctor in this case breastfeed exclusively as long as you can you know the baby food makers and pharmaceuticals pay the doctors to make such an assertion so use your discretion :)
    LovableFox

Answer by LovableFox at 10:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Also, look for a lactation consultant or a La Leche league in your area. They are more helpful at keeping you nursing for longer than any doctor. A doctor will only tell you to give formula or more solids. A LLL will help you figure out if you are loosing your supply, how to get it back or what else is going on.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• get a new pedi!! Any doctor that tells you to give a baby rice cereal instead of breastmilk or formula is not a good doctor. If your baby wasnt getting enough from you then he should get formula, not cereal. Cereal doesnt have any vitamins or nourishment that he needs right now. I would start pumping if he wont nurse, try to get as much out as you can so your body will make more. Stop with the cereal, your son is getting full and then thinks he isnt hungry.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 7:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2011