Black Widow spiders

We have a home less than 2 years old thats on several acres of wooded land. The front and back yard are cleared of trees and it's all grass, or will be when it grows in enough. I am constantly ou walking around the house and spraying for and killing black widow spiders. I just cant help it. I SO dont want them getting IN the house. The get up under the deck and make homes. I want to know if any of you have any idea other than chemicals to kill them or keep them away besides the chemicals that are NOT keeping them away.

vbruno

Asked by vbruno at 10:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• lavender, no bugs like it for some reason.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Lavender?! Repels bugs?! Oh bless your sweet heart. I am NOT a bug fan AT ALL with the exception of the seriously harmless ones (like rollie pollies sp?) and I also don't want to spend a ton of money and get little results. I'm definitely going to give that a shot.
    TexasMama2Boys

Answer by TexasMama2Boys at 10:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'll have to try the lavendar as well... we have a 1950s home & found a freakishly huge spider called a "mouse spider." Gawd, they are bigger than tarantulas & fuglier too! LOL Anyways, I was told that citrus (like having an orange in the basement) will keep spiders away; it won't kill them but they won't nest in rooms that have 'em. And your house will smell nice too from that. ;-)

I was bitten by a black widow twice within 24hrs of each other. Got a high fever, was crazy-talking in my sleep, & the bite area was swollen like heck. I didn't get any kind of antivenom as I wasn't anywhere near a hospital (or civilization for that matter). I've definitely got a spider-hate relationship going & have no problem killing them all so my kids & pets don't get hurt by them. Put out bird feeders; birds eat bugs & could also help clear some of those suckers out for you.
    domesticrecluse

Answer by domesticrecluse at 12:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Bees and normal pollen gathering insects will be the only ones in the plant. Google is my hero this spring
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yuck! I hate spiders! We have those stupid mouse spiders here too, and we get these HUGE "grass spiders" that look like a hobo spider, only GIANT. They will chase you if they see you coming toward them! We have 2 cats in the house and 2 dogs, and they seem to take care of everything that gets inside, for now. As for the outside stuff, have you considered calling an exterminator? They can use things that are 10x stronger than what you can buy at the store, and it will keep them away for a long time. That's what I would do, especially since black widows are so dangerous! Good luck- I hope you are able to get rid of those nasty things!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:34 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• no idea but id freak!!! i hate spiders!
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Loving the tips here. Spiders freak me out!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If they are bad I would hire a service to do the spraying.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Osage Oranges with whole cloves embedded in them work great. Where I live, it's sometimes difficult to get the osage oranges, I had to have my local bulk food store look for them when they went to their suppliers warehouse and then it was a special order. But you stick the whole cloves in them and put them out all over the place. They last a month or so. Gives the house that clovie citrussy aroma and the spiders and other bugs don't like them one bit! I hate spiders and bugs!
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 2:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Lavender. The flowering plant. Do I buy it at a garden center? or is it a seed? I have tons of bee's hornets and mud wasps and they dont bother me one bit. The HUGE black widows are just TO much for me. I was bitten by a widow down in Florida once, didnt get the anti venom as you can only get it once in your life, I was in a living hell for 3 days. EVERY nerve ending was on fire in my body.  This is the widow from last week. It's on a 1 inch by i inch wood stick.  

vbruno

Comment by vbruno (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011