I have a autistic girl 5 years old who is throwing temper tanrums more violant everyday , how can I correct this before we hurt eachother ?

SINCERE560

Asked by SINCERE560 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put her in her room. Ignore her. If that doesn't work,ask your Doctor if there is something else going on with her. I didn't think violent temper tantrums were a characteristic of Autism.
    Good luck,.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I don't know anyone with autism, but don't they have resources you can refer to for people with autism? Are there support groups out there or here at CM?
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 10:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You need to make sure that she is being covered by Regional Center. If she is not, call your local Regional Center and sign her up. SHe should also be given services through her school district. Advocate for that.
    You should be getting in-home therapy for her, at no expense to you. Ask her therapist to address this . . . they are there to help you and her. You also should be entitled to respite care, which is a real life-saver.
    Violent tantrumming is very known to happen with certain types of Autistic kids. They usually are unable to express their feelings and are very easily overstimulated. Keep things calm, very structured, and talk to the therapist about what you should do when she tantrums. Because she is autistic, you need to treat it differently.
    Feel free to PM me.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2011