Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying to avoid an early induction, any suggestions or advice?

so im almost 36 weeks. and my daughters not growing well in utero, measuring under the tenth percentile. so they want to induce me in my 37th week. ive been having contractions for a week now, not too intense usually, and not really regular. but i am dialated to a 1, and around 50-70% effaced. i also have lost my mucous plug. my dr wants me to go into labor naturally and avoid the induction if possible. any suggestions for me? or does is sound like i may go into labor before induction date?

Answer Question
 
xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

Level 8 (209 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • No one can tell you. I was 2cm and 100% effaced with contractions for semi regular for 3 weeks... I was induced @ 42 weeks. That being said, you might, it all depends on when your baby is ready to make his/her appearance.
    BabyBugsmama

    Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • Could go either way mama. Usually our bodies know when something is wrong and try to get the baby out sooner. You could be ready to go into labor any time now or maybe there's nothing wrong, you're just growing a smallish baby and your body wants to wait for a while.

    Sex is good, make sure you have an orgasm, more than one is better. Walking, squats... my son came the day after I had a "talk" with him, telling him that it was safe to come out and that we wanted to hold him and for him to meet his family. I believe meditation and visualization are helpful. Many people have a lot of success inducing labor with acupuncture or acupressure.

    I'm sending healthy vibes your way!
    Ati_13

    Answer by Ati_13 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • Being dilated and effaced does not really give you a very good idea at when you might go into labor. I am usually like that for the last one to two months. For me I would not be comfortable with an induction, I would lean to closely monitoring your little one in utero but that is really something for you to decide. What are the cons in waiting? Anyways that is neither here nor there, I would say your chances are slim though.
    Melbornj

    Answer by Melbornj at 10:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • I personally would want a second opinion on an induction before at minimum 39 weeks. Have they given you a good medical indication for this? Have they done test to see if the cord is functioning as it should? If everything looks good then I would wonder why they were pushing an induction to begin with... Talk to them about your concerns and don't hold back. You are still in charge.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • You might be able to push labor over the edge...
    There are many things you can do, but sex and walking are really the safest & most effective.

    How long has she been measuring smaller?
    Have you been able to calm the contractions when/if you try?

    IUGR is a legit reason to induce, imo!
    Baby is safer outside than in.
    I suggest you consult with your doctor/midwife about the accuracy of this estimation, the risks/benefits, etc.
    It's all about weighing risks.


    You can ask:
    doulala

    Answer by doulala at 1:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • * Why are you scheduling an induction of labor?
    * What are the risks of inducing my labor?
    * I know that my due date is only an estimate. What precautions will you take to make sure my baby is not born too early?
    * How do you plan to induce my labor?
    * How will an induction affect my labor and the health of my baby?
    * I know that compared to waiting for labor to begin on its own, an induction is more likely to lead to a cesarean section. What measures would you take to reduce my odds for a cesarean?

    If both you and your baby are healthy and stable, don’t hesitate to take time to consider your caregiver’s recommendations and explanations. Feel free to leave the appointment, with a follow-up scheduled — or to get a second opinion. After all, this is your birth.

    doulala

    Answer by doulala at 1:20 AM on Apr. 20, 2011


  • How will I know if I really need to be induced?

    If you are offered an induction or augmentation and the situation is not life threatening, it’s always useful to use B.R.A.N.D.:

    * What are the BENEFITS? (of this being done)
    * What are the RISKS?
    * Are there ALTERNATIVES? (other than this being done)
    * Does it need to be done NOW?
    * Can we have some privacy to make a DECISION?
    doulala

    Answer by doulala at 1:20 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN