Mom's with autistic children?

Tell me if this sounds like it's worth mentioning to the Pedi on Thursday.

DS is two. He only has five words he uses consistently. It used to be twelve and now we're back to mommy, daddy, hi, bye and no. He used to be able to put his cup on the counter and get it back down on his own but now he just stands there and makes what we call the "can't reach it noise". He started needing help to get onto furniture again. He is suddenly very clingy with just me and freaks out of DH hugs him or picks him up. He is suddenly estranged to his grandparents, aunt and uncles when he used to love them but he will run up to random kids on the playground and hug them. He has started crawling more than walking.

He is obsessed with books but will not let you read to him. He looks at it but if you try to read it to him or hold it he will rip it out of your hands and run off to look at it on the floor. He throws fits when he wants something and we're not understanding what he's asking for, and he gets frustrated and throws fits if we sit with him and repeat a word to try and get him to say it. He does not consistently respond to his name and it seems like sometimes he hears us, sometime's he doesn't. He is off in his own world sometimes.

DH refuses to admit that there's even a possibility DS could have a problem so it's down to me to talk to the doctor about it. Is it worth bringing up, or is hubby right that I'm just paranoid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes - anytime a child "loses" language, it needs to be mentioned! It could just be that it's too much work and he's being lazy, but it's worth checking in to.

Answer by missanc at 10:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Ask the ped if he/she could refer you to a Developmental Ped for an evaluation. Your primary ped unfortunately doesn't know a cent about autism. Also you can also be referred to a Speech Language Pathologist for an evaluation.
    Anonymous

• Have you ever read the book "SUNRISE" by Barry Kaufman or seen their NBC special that aired shortly the book was written ? It was about their boy Ryann that was autistic & they pulled him out of it.completely . It was a great book, after I read it I wrote to him & ask how he could help me with my boy. He sent me all the info on what he & his wife Susie do now ,they run The Option Institute in Shefield Ma. teaching parents how to pull their children out of autism . They also deal with other special needs children & are excellent in their work. I spent a week with them & had never experienced so much unconditional love in one place as there. I highly recommend checking them out or at least try to find the movie in the archives of NBC specials they ran years ago. Oh by the way Ryann their boy travels the country now showing people HE is living proof that autism is cure-able . Unconditional love is the true key to curing it .
    SINCERE560

Answer by SINCERE560 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yes, DEFINITELY mention it to your ped and ask for a referral to a developmental pediatrician.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 7:10 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yes, talk to your pedi. My younger sister is severely handicapped and autistic. To me, you child doesn't sound like he's autistic. Usually there isn't regression. Definitely ask about it.
    concernedmom86

Answer by concernedmom86 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2011