What vaccines aren't necessary?

I heard that Hepatitis B is not necessary. Are there any other vaccines which are not essential?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I can't tell you what to do with your children. But for me there was no question. I started researching vaccines over 10 years ago when I was nearly killed by one (and I wasn't a child). None of my children have ever had a vaccine, and they never will as long as I have anything to say about it. There is simply no need for the added risks, and there is more and more research out there that says vaccines don't work nearly as well as most doctors will have you think.

I implore you to do the research yourself. Ask as many questions as you can and don't take anything as fact without thinking it through and checking other sources.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• IMO vaccines should be delayed. The Hep B at birth, unless a parent is positive can wait. I wish I had waited until at least 6 months to even begin vaccines and then I would have separated them. Talk to your ped about your concerns and see what plan you can come up with that you can be comfortable with. You are going to get a ton of mixed feed back in a forum like this.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• This is a really complicated and personal issue. There is a lot of conflicting information out there and people have very strong opinions on both sides of the issue. You really need to look at a lot of information, talk with your pediatrician (and make sure you have one who is open to discussing the question of vaccinations with you) and decide what you think is best. I delayed polio because it's almost completely eradicated, but on the other hand that is probably one of the safest vaccines in my opinion. You just have to come up with whatever plan you think is best.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• weigh the pros and cons of the vaccines. . . they all have side effects and in many cases you will find that they really are not necessary at all. . . talk to your Pediatrician, however, most will implore you to vaccinate. Ask around.
    Anonymous

• ** All vaccines are optional. **
    You have to see which are more/less important to you.
    Many parents don't do any at all, others do everything, some do just a few.

Depends on what you feel.

But to answer your question: none are "necessary."

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:41 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Like one of the PPs, said, most people will tell you they are all necessary. Personally, I don't believe that, but you have to do the research yourself and make your own decision. I don't believe it's a very clear black and white issue, which is why different parents take different approaches. Yes, there is a risk of illnesses if your child doesn't get them--there's also a risk of reactions if your child gets them, and there's skepticism about how effective they are.

MaryMW, your child actually has better protection from a mother who breastfeeds and has NOT been vaccinated because she can pass on natural immunity through her breastmilk, but if she's been vaccinated, she has no natural immunity.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If you have any reason to believe you have hep B when you give birth that is the ONLY reason to give your newborn the hep B shot. Otherwise, hep B is transmitted through SEXUAL CONTACT and CONTAMINATED NEEDLES (as in drugs), and since I have yet to see a newborn who's sexually active and an IV drug user, they're pretty safe if you don't have it. :) There are rare severe reactions to the hep B vaccine, including fatal reactions.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• most people will tell you they are all necessary. . . but in truth as long as you have had your shots and they are all up to date your baby is covered up to 6 mo. then you might want to start thinking about vac. Most schools require your child's shots be up to date so that is another thing to consider. My DD has all her shots, but we were also Military and due to my health we thought it wise to just be safe. However there is a lot of info about how they are not necessary. . . do your research! that is the best advice I can give. GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 11:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I also feel that they are all neccesary esp. if you've older children that go to school or day care... Hep IS neccesary, we just had a HUGE breakout of it in the local high school...just space them out but with in the limited time.
    starlight1968

Answer by starlight1968 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• it depends on the state WV requires hept B shot
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 12:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2011