What would you do

Not sure what to do... what would you do if one of your dogs couldnt walk around the house or run around outside or even go potty in peace because the other one is always trying to play but it plays way to rough and your cat has to hide because of the same reason and you cant chase your son around the house without the dog chasing you also the dog doesnt bite...but im not sure how much more i can take. we have a dog about 7 and the other is almost a year the younger one is terrorizing the older one

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 11:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Pets

• I would find a new home for the super playful one. Or, if you can afford it, hire a trainer. Maybe make it an outside pup.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 11:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• sounds like this dog desperately needs to be walked. It seems like he has a lot of pent up energy. A daily walk, energy burning play (fetch, frizbee, jogging/running, tug of war) and some basic training should curb this behavior.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I dont want to make her an outside dog...she is a great dog but i want our older dog to beable to come out and play and to beable to chase our son around the house... im also afraid to rehome her because she is a bully breed...i love her dearly but i love my son more and have a stronger bod with the older dog... but i think when it comes down to it rehoming her is what we have to do
    jaksonsmommy

Comment by jaksonsmommy (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'd enroll the younger dog in an obedience class. I would also either take her to a doggie daycare or a dog park where she would learn some doggie manners that only other dogs can teach. Your other dog has let her get away with this so she thinks she is pretty hot stuff. My youngest dog is like this because my 2 older dogs did not put him in his place at all. I started taking him to a dog park when he was about 5 months old because he needed other dogs to tell him off. He would annoy some dogs enough that it worked and now he has better manners with other dogs. Since your older dog is not telling her off you can step in If she is not backing down and the other dog is either trying to get away for giving some warning you can use a water gun or even a hose to get her to leave the other dog alone.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• She does need daily walking to burn off some of her energy, plus leash training will help her too and it's not hard to learn. Other than that, all I can suggest is waiting it out a bit longer. She's only 7 months old so she's still in that puppy stage. She will outgrow it in a few months.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You get a crate and a long line (ten or more feet using clothesline) and make some new rules. First, the dog is in the crate if you can't watch it. Second, if the dog is out of the crate, it is on the other end of the line with you. Trust me, stick to these two simple rules and your life will become much, much better.

In addition...

Take the dog to a good quality training facility with real trainers...i.e. not a pet store. Your dog is out of control and could use the obedience work. And you should not allow dog play in the house. That is for outside. You actually can enforce that rule, especially if you have a line on the dog!

In a week your younger dog could be much better behaved. Good luck!

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• The little one is still a pup. U can see about behavior classes.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:16 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Your dogs should respect you. If your dog is agressive, you should be more agressive. Just by using your voice you should be able to take control. Keep a leash on the dog that acts up.
    Rose4Lily

Answer by Rose4Lily at 1:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Sounds to me like the younger dog needs WAY more exercise than she is getting. If you have a treadmill, or access to one, you can put her on the treadmill if you can't physically walk her for a long time. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• we tired the tredmill and she was afraid of it...so we are going to wait it out and see about a trainer to see if there are any good ones close..thank you all for the advice... we are going to walk her a lot more
    jaksonsmommy

Comment by jaksonsmommy (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011