What matters more?

The Telegraph has an article tonight summarizing the latest Obama approval numbers. RCP has him at a new all time low of 41%. ABC has it at only 47%, with 50% disapproving.  Earlier today, in response to these same numbers, HuffPo threw up a piece talking about how people are trying to manipulate opinion by saying this is reaction to Obama's intended tax increases.  (they really think people don't disapprove of tax increases?) They don't have much to say about why they think the numbers are dropping like they're hot, only that they don't like why other people say they're dropping (gee, kind of like how people try to debate around here, maybe this explains more than just my question).

When you hit the point that your approval rating is down to 41%, does it really matter why different people think it's at 41%, or does it simply matter that it's at 41%?  When you've just officially kicked off your campaign for presidential re-election and your disapproval rating is officially a majority, should anything be "excused" as somehow not contributing to it?  Isn't it safer to act with the idea that everything is contributing to it instead of trying to manipulate and excuse things to avoid dealing with them?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/16/opinion/polls/main4728399.shtml

Deal with it.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Approval rating is an approval rating. Doesn't matter what made it that way, because everyone has their own reason for approving or disapproving of something. Explaining it away, making excuses, or getting your panties in a wad doesn't change anything. It is what it is.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I think they (huffpo) are trying to tell us that poor Obama is so misunderstood and we are stupid for not understanding what he is doing to us, er I mean for us.

So his poll numbers might be bad, but that's because blah blah blah, or in other words they (huffpo and liberals) are manipulating the numbers and reasons by accusing the other side of manipulation.

Gah...it's late, I'm tired and I hope that made sense!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 11:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Deal with it.

With what? That you found a blog on CBS that has nothing to do with my question? OK. Dealt with. If only it was that easy to make you go away, too.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Gerpilu you have lost it again. Time to make a new alter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Lets see, the man had an opinion rating of 68% in Jan of '09. That means if we give him 45% today that's 23 percentage points down.
    So if this drop was because someone is manipulating the fact he wants to raise taxes what was the reason at 65,64,63.62,61,60,59,58,57,56,............................. You get my drift.

As far as manipulating, you don't need to manipulate the raising taxes opinion. It's real.
    I find it suspicious that his rating is that high since just about every poll you see in every category shows disapproval over approval.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I don't think it really matters why his approval rating is low because there are so many reasons.

However, the fact that he would rather raise taxes than make serious and permanent spending cuts really does make me disapprove even more than I already did. It shows that he truly has no concept of money and no respect for those of us who have to work for the money we earn.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Early last week, the GOP predicted his numbers would be down and close to 40 on Friday April 15. I stated this last week, and the science behind it is really neat. It has come to fruition, and I love it!!
    No it doesn't matter why and who and what and where, unless the person in question plans on changing anything that caused this. And I don't see Obama making much change ( of crap there's that word again) any time soon that will alter the opinions of getting people polled. I listen to talk radio in all forms and all markets, the people on both sides are highly pissed. Obama will not be re elected with low poll numbers during war time, UE over 8% and high fuel prices. I hope the number gets down around 20%. & we all know it will never get below 16%
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

Answer by Anonymous 18 hours ago
    .**************
    I have ONE screen name. Its the one you see on THIS post. Is there somethng wrong with your eyes?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Deal with it.

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11
    **************************
    They are the identical subject matter---presidential approval ratings. You quote 41% for Obama. The CBS link has a much lower % for Bush overall, at the end if his Presidency. So---yours and my link match. Its just that you hate to see Bush's approval rate being lower than Obama's. Get it? I hope so.....'cause if you still don't, read it again. More carefully.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2011