Birthday part by themself?

At what age do little ones attend birthday parties without Mommy and Daddy? I am headed to one tomorrow. I do not know the family so I will stay whether I am the only parent that stays or not, but it got me thinking. Also will it say on the invitation?

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 11:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Holidays

• It's all personal preference really.. If you don't know that parents and that's what makes you feel the most uncomfortable I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you tried to get to know them a bit... I mean, I wouldn't mind if your child was coming to my child's birthday party and we knew nothing about each other and you wanted to ask me questions and get a feel for my character... In fact, I would almost expect that, and besides you could have tons in common and end up making a new friend.
    TexasMama2Boys

Answer by TexasMama2Boys at 11:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I always stayed with my kids until they were 9 or 10, and even then if I didn't know the parents, I might hang out for awhile, and i would call ahead to introduce myself and ask some questions.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• With my son I allowed him to go it alone at 8 - but knew the family. He also had one I was not comfortable with family and I stayed - without asking ( was at acrcade/lazer tag) I think you have to go by your gut and discussions with your child. He's 13 now and there's no way he'd allow me to stay..
    Samnbellsmom

Answer by Samnbellsmom at 11:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would more assume that parents will stay for a party if the child is under 10. DD had her 5th birthday party in February and I was floored that a friend of mine just dropped her almost 5yo daughter off and left...may have not been so bad if she didn't keep pulling me away from my "mom of the birthday party girl" duties so I could fix her plate or show her where the bathroom was or help her climb the ladder of the inflatable because she was scared of heights.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2011