How can I get my 14 y/o son to take his eating habits seriously?

lemons2lemonade

Asked by lemons2lemonade at 11:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• What do you mean? does he eat junk food all of the time? Make sure that he has dressing( ranch or some other dressing) to go with his vegetable snack.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 11:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• He will when he starts showing interest in girls, trust me on this. My 2 sons were horrible, picky eaters until they got in H.S. All of a sudden they realized they needed to eat properly and exercise to look good for the girls :) (Pathetic creatures) But hey it worked, lol See, we women ARE good for something :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• hi stitchintime (love the name!),

I try to control what he eats but does stuff like make food w/o asking which he knows that's breaking our rule for him cause does nothing in moderation. My 6 y/o didn't eat all of his pot pie today & my 14 y/o ate it even though he was about to eat dinner in 15 mins!

Thx Kathy! that is true but in the meantime, I'm trying to curb his climbing weight before it REALLY get out of hand! And yes, we women are good at many things! lol

lemons2lemonade

Comment by lemons2lemonade (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Try having vegetable or fruit plates ready and on the counter when he comes home from school. I know my boys would eat more out of boredom versus eating when really hungry. If I prepare the snacks ahead of time and all they had to do was grab and go (because they were to lazy to prepare themselves, lol), then they would generally grab what was ready. I had to quit buying treats, cookies, chips etc. just for that same reason. They have hollow legs :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Great suggestions Kathy, thx!
    lemons2lemonade

Comment by lemons2lemonade (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My stepson did this. Sit and talk to him, it may be covering a bigger issue. My ss would get up in the middle of the night and eat what ever he saw. He would go through a pack of lunchmeat in like 2 sitting. His mom would do nothing about it.
    Angela_1974

Answer by Angela_1974 at 7:31 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Have a bunch of healthy snacks on hand that he can have at any time. Because at this age, boys do need more food because they are growing and growing rapidly and need the energy to fuel that growth. While breaking the rules isn't good, modify them by providing them something that they CAN eat as they get hungry.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I agree with Kathy this is what I do at home, I have a 13 yr old and a 16 yr old they will eat anything anytime of day. I keep fruit, cheese snacks, popcorn, peanut butter, rice cakes, bread, oatmeal and yogurt available. I also keep ramen noodles in the cupboard, its cheap and they can eat it for a snack too if they are really that. They do tend to need more food at this age, depending on their growth and their activity. My kids are involved in a number of sports so they can almost eat whatever they want and never gain a pound, but at the same time I don't want them setting themselves up for high cholesterol and blood pressure issues or whatever. So I try to keep as much as I can that's healthy in the cupboard. I rarely buy things like chips, hot dogs, ice cream etc...because they will just eat everything. I'd rather they eat a bag of grapes than a 1/2 gallon ice cream. ;)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I don't know, I have a 14 yr old that eats nonstop, mainly because he is growing at a fast rate and needs the food to help grow.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Great suggestions everyone! I think my whole fam needs to sit dwn & revamp our eating habits because if i buy more fruits because I would like my 16 y/o & myself to eat more of it, EVERYONE eats it even though they did not request it. i know that sounds strange but i eat very differently frm the rest of my fam & my 16 y/o NEEDS to eat like me because of his weight. I think that's exactly what I will do! And for those like myself can afford to have that not so healthy treat in moderation, we'll have less of those things but absoutely more fruits & veggies...thx again for all who replied.
    lemons2lemonade

Comment by lemons2lemonade (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2011