Potty Time!

My son is turning two next month and we're going to start potty training... What are the greatest bits of advice you could possibly give me that worked really well for you and your children?

TexasMama2Boys

Asked by TexasMama2Boys at 11:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• dont force him! .. i got my kids a potty chair, and gave them treats every time! .. with my last child i gave him a chart an stickers each time. also got very excited each time they went in the potty. i refused to use pull ups, i always had undies on them during the day. hope this helps a little.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• with my oldest we put a couple cheerios in the potty and he got a thrill at aiming for them lol... our youngest is 18m and he watches big brother and daddy go and he just started on his own.. we have a stool in the bathroom he stands on and pees in the toilet, but then he likes to destroy the bathroom lol... my oldest son even liked peeing on daddys tires. his dad started that himself and i give him credit it worked good until walmart and everything hed pee his pants cuz we wouldnt let him pee on a tire lol so i wouldnt reccomend that.. just be patient it takes time but i swear by the cheerios
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 11:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Hahaha, yeah I'm not sure I'll give the tire bit a go :)
    TexasMama2Boys

Comment by TexasMama2Boys (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i used to take my oldest in to the bathroom with me when i went and id have him sit on his training potty and try to go when i did. i found that to be the best method along with little rewards for using the potty and for days with out accidents. the last thing you want to do is punish mistakes because then the potty becomes the enemy.
    AbsynthLynn

Answer by AbsynthLynn at 12:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2011