Postpartum Depression

Is it possible for postpartum depression to happen nearly 3 months after giving birth? I was perfectly fine other then constantly feeling anxious when I am not at home with him. until a week ago when I started to feel like crying over nothing. Tonight I was lying in bed with my son talking to him and getting ready to read him his story when I just busted out crying hard for nothing. We were having fun and he was smiling and trying to laugh and I just started to think how much I love him and bam it hit me out of no where. I have found myself getting a little lax in his care. Nothing major just not doing his laundry as often as I had. Just little things. I love my son and have no bad feelings towards him. Maybe its just that I have not felt this immense amount of love in such a long time. I would appreciate any input or advise. I also will be calling my doctor in the morning and asking him about this. I just want to hear from other mothers because frankly not all doctors really get what a person is feeling emotionally. Thanks for reading all this.

angelmine2011

Asked by angelmine2011 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It can happen any time. Of course, you may not need or want to do laundry so often, and that's fine... but the crying is what is making me wonder.

Please talk to someone about this- husband, good friend... whoever.

Then do all the usuals: eat healthy, get some help so you can sleep, exercise every day hard-ish for 30 minutes, get outside in the sun, write a journal, take breaks with friends/family and talk about anything not related to babies part of the time, pick up a book or hobby.... these are things that can help mild depressive symptoms. It does not "cure" PPD but if your symptoms are mild, it may manage it.

If things stay the same or get worse, make sure there is someone available who can take you to a doctor right away. PPD creeps up on you and messes with all your relationships (especially with husbands). It takes time for any help to kick in, so you need to start ASAP. Good for you paying attention. Take care!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Are you eating OK? Make sure that you are getting a diet full of nutrients. If you are not eating well your body and mind is affected. Have your husband take out for a delightful diner. Best of luck.
    Anonymous

• I have had ppd twice. It can occur anytime during the first year postpartum. Just keep a watch on your feelings and don't be afraid to seek professional help if you find yourself spiraling out of control. You might just be feeling a little overwhelmed with caring for an infant. You do need to make time for yourself and don't stay cooped up in the house all of the time. Try to make it a point to keep in contact with the outside world as much as possible and continue to eat and drink lots of water. Good luck!
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 7:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yes it is I was put on Paxil because mine was really bad but it has helped and I am soon to be off the medication good luck go see someone they will help you and dont feel ashamed many people go through this
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Food is no problem. I still eat like I did when I was pregnant. You get used to something and it just seems to stick doesn't it. My sleep is fine other then the last 3 nights because I have been having some bad cramps but that seems better now. I have been reading to about the birth control I am on and it says it can cause depression so maybe I need to change that. Something new to talk with the doctor about. But I will have SO take me out this weekend, Maybe a good date (to see scream 4 lol) will do me some good.
    angelmine2011

Comment by angelmine2011 (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2011