Store bought or homemade??

So I just got done making cupcakes for school Easter parties tomorrow and I started wondering how many moms still do this. I have 5 school ages kids and can probably count on one hand the other moms I know who make the treats they send. Personally I think store bought baked goods don't taste good, and I won't serve food to anyone unless I taste it and like it. Do you bake or buy? Why?

lovinlifewith5

Asked by lovinlifewith5 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I prefer to make homemade as well, but our schools here quit allowing homemade foods years ago for a number of reasons, allergies, and not knowing how clean and healthy each individual's kitchen is. As much as I love sending homemade treats, I did understand, after all, I knew some moms whose kitchens weren't clean enough that I would have wanted my kids to eat food made in them.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I prefer home made any day of the week. Due to allergies in the classroom my daughter's will not accept anything that is not prepackaged. It makes me a bit sad. I know that they are just protecting the little ones but I would love to bring in cupcakes for her birthday.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• LOL I just took brownies out of the oven for the same reasons!! I don't care much for the store bought stuff, so I'm not serving it or sending it in with my kids. I feel better knowing I baked it for them ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I made all my kid''s treats myself. The other mom's were always buying them to. Homemade is always better than store bought.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I like home made better
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Homemade is sooooo much better!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Bake! First of all, like you said it tastes way better when you bake it yourself. Secondly, I know what has gone into the cake (i.e. I know that no nasty preservatives have gone into it). Lastly, because I know what's going to the cake, it makes it easier to adjust the cake for any allergies anyone going to consume the cake may have.
    SamanthaAnneT

Answer by SamanthaAnneT at 11:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It's school policy now to only allow store bought items. I used to have fun decorating cookies and cupcakes for the class. It's boring picking up a box of cupcakes now.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I prefer to make mine but I do understand some can't and some are alerted to the need of a snack to late to bake anything.
    starlight1968

Answer by starlight1968 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Both
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 12:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2011