Store bought or homemade??

So I just got done making cupcakes for school Easter parties tomorrow and I started wondering how many moms still do this. I have 5 school ages kids and can probably count on one hand the other moms I know who make the treats they send. Personally I think store bought baked goods don't taste good, and I won't serve food to anyone unless I taste it and like it. Do you bake or buy? Why?

Asked by lovinlifewith5 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I prefer to make homemade as well, but our schools here quit allowing homemade foods years ago for a number of reasons, allergies, and not knowing how clean and healthy each individual's kitchen is. As much as I love sending homemade treats, I did understand, after all, I knew some moms whose kitchens weren't clean enough that I would have wanted my kids to eat food made in them.

Answer by ohwrite at 11:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I prefer home made any day of the week. Due to allergies in the classroom my daughter's will not accept anything that is not prepackaged. It makes me a bit sad. I know that they are just protecting the little ones but I would love to bring in cupcakes for her birthday.

Answer by Melbornj at 11:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• LOL I just took brownies out of the oven for the same reasons!! I don't care much for the store bought stuff, so I'm not serving it or sending it in with my kids. I feel better knowing I baked it for them ;o)

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I made all my kid''s treats myself. The other mom's were always buying them to. Homemade is always better than store bought.

Answer by vbruno at 11:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I like home made better

Answer by DomsMama07 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Homemade is sooooo much better!

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Bake! First of all, like you said it tastes way better when you bake it yourself. Secondly, I know what has gone into the cake (i.e. I know that no nasty preservatives have gone into it). Lastly, because I know what's going to the cake, it makes it easier to adjust the cake for any allergies anyone going to consume the cake may have.

Answer by SamanthaAnneT at 11:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It's school policy now to only allow store bought items. I used to have fun decorating cookies and cupcakes for the class. It's boring picking up a box of cupcakes now.

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I prefer to make mine but I do understand some can't and some are alerted to the need of a snack to late to bake anything.

Answer by starlight1968 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Both

Answer by vgaines at 12:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2011