How do I stop my milk from producing and pouring out if i'm NOT breastfeeding?

ddriskell

Asked by ddriskell at 12:26 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to wear a tight bra at all times (even when I was sleeping) for a couple weeks.
    Egyptianeyes

Answer by Egyptianeyes at 12:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• go buy a head of cabbage, take 2 big leaves and cut slits down the center vein, stick them in your bra over your nipple. replace them when they wilt. i know it sounds crazy, but i promise you'll be dried up in a couple days.
    SunflowerMom10

Answer by SunflowerMom10 at 12:33 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I'm going to assume your baby is fairly young. This is generally only an issue in the beginning (for me it usually takes about 8 wks to stabilize). Your body is trying to figure out just how much milk it needs to produce and sometimes it gets a little carried away. If you're breastfeeding you don't want to dry up your supply so there really isn't anything you can do to stop it per se. I had luck using LilyPadz to prevent leakage issues after my 1st was born (they didn't seem to work as well after the 2nd- not sure if I was leaking more or if they changed their design). I also found that washable/reusable nursing pads were more asborbent and protective than the disposable ones. Best way to help your body regulate itself is to keep feeding baby when baby is hungry. If you are pumping, try to pump at the same time(s) every day. Both of these things help to get your body used to producing when needed. Good luck!
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 12:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I agree with the Cabbage, sounds crazy but it does work!
    tgh46737

Answer by tgh46737 at 3:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I would just use nursing pads. Don't wear a tight bra, that will decrese your supply.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 2:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Sage pills, no more milk tea(google it) or get on hormonal birth control..BEST ways
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2011