How can you have a "badly bruised foot" when there's hardly a bruise?

I injured my foot on Sunday and ended up going to the ER. After they lectured me about not having a primary doctor and for coming in to the ER when it wasn't an emergency (suggesting I was wasting their time with my trivial injury), they prodded the light bruise and swelling/lump on the top of my foot, got me X-Rayed then (after finding nothing broken) sent me home with a wrapped foot, crutches and instructions to stay off the foot for a few days with the diagnosis of a bad bruise or a sprain.

Now, my question is How can I have a "badly bruised foot" when there's hardly a bruise on it? I mean there's a brownish-yellow one at the base of my toes (and actually on my middle toe) and a light greenish-blue one on the outer side but that's all. The swelling is there as is tenderness on the top and instep of my foot but hardly a bruise.

Is it possible that it's injured worse even though there isn't much bruising??

The reason I ask is, I can't flex my foot towards my leg. Pain spikes in the instep when I try, which is part of the reason why I can't walk on it. I can't flex it forward too much because then pain spikes on the top. The pain I felt when I initially had the accident was the same kind of pain, though not QUITE as intense, as when I gave myself a grade II sprained ankle two years ago.

I could limp, albeit heavily, out to my car and into my house after the accident and, with the exception of a small window where I couldn't bear weight at all, for the rest of the night with the help of a cane (which came in handy while at the ER for 5.5hrs with no one to push me in a wheelchair).

So, why is it I can't bear weight now??

I realize that none of us are in the medical profession but I would really appreciate your opinions. Please be nice; I didn't want to go to urgent care and ask only to be made to feel like I was wasting their time too... It really wasn't a good experience. :o)

ElijahsMom211

Asked by ElijahsMom211 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Health

• If they x-rayed it and followed are their protocols, I doubt it's anything worse than a badly bruised foot... It could be the area where you injured it is why bearing weight on it is so much worse now than in a more serious injury. Just follow the doctors orders and take it easy for a few days. Hope it heals soon! Feel better :)
    TexasMama2Boys

Answer by TexasMama2Boys at 12:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You can actually bruise a bone without a bruise to show up on your skin. You may gave stretched the tendons in your foot. I know that when you have kids that it's hard to stay off your feet. But if you are on it more than you should be, it will take longer to heal. Take advil for inflammation.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I just had a badly bruised wrist and there wasn't a visible bruise at all. But I could feel it. Hurt like hell.
    Also yellow and green bruises are the deepest. I was in a ferris wheel accident when I was 15. The safety bar was jammed into my thighs leaving deep bruises and muscle/tissue damage (came close to have my legs broken). The center of the injury was yellow and green and actually had no feeling. You could press on it all you wanted it and there was no pain. But go a fraction of an inch in any direction and the bruises changed to blacks, blues, purples and reds and they hurt like hell. I was bruised from my upper thigh all the way to my knee.
    Take their advice and stay off your foot.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• yes I have broken toes and had foot injuries that didnt look so bad but surely felt it!!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:21 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• it could be bruised on the inside
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 4:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You can bruise the muscle or bone. That hurts like crazy! Maybe ice it or soak it some. If It's not better within a week to ten days I'd go back.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 5:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• it is possible that you have internal bruising that you can't see... or maybe you will be able to see as your body reabsorbs it in a few days... i would follow their directions and see what happens. foot injuries are painful, no matter how small...
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It could be internal. It's not uncommon, and yes, they hurt like hell.
    Sarahb21

Answer by Sarahb21 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2011