My First Yard Sale What are some Do's And Don'ts?

Ive never done my own yard sale so I am a lil nervous. WHat are some do's and don'ts when it comes to doing a yard sale?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 1:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Do advertise. I'd even list it for free on Craigslist. Don't price too high. People want to pay really low prices at yard sales. There's not much else to it. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Mark everything with a price, be willing to negotiate (you aren't looking to get what you paid for it, just more than if you threw it away), and make sure you can make change. You need to have 1's and 5's and a bunch of jingly change on hand...don't want to lose a sale because you couldn't give them their change back.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 1:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• price things at what you would buy them for.. if you were looking to buy that item...don't price things too high. I work at a thrift store and when I have to price things I think "hmmm what would I pay for this"? Then I mark it
    clean things up good and really what is nice is instead of tagging each thing just a big poster board with prices..
    like baby clothes 50 cents, jeans $1, baby blankets 75 cents, kids toys $1, books 50 cents that way you don't waste time pricing and people can just look at the large sign and see what it is. also have baked goodies for sale at the "check out" table people are hungry or they have hungry kids and if there's brownies for 50 cents wrapped individually people will buy them up and alos have a cooler with bottled water for 75 cents, it's cheaper then the gas station :)
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Be ready early. If it's set to start at 8:00, make sure everything is ready and set up by 7:00. You'll always get early birds, especially the first day, and they bring a lot of cash. Whether you want to deal with them or not, they'll still be hovering, meaning you have to have someone outside to "guard" everything while you set up to make sure nothing walks away.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Have a lot of small bills on hand for change. Plus coins if your prices are not in even dollar amounts. Have someone help you so you can both watch over what is going on. Have the money in your pocket or in your home, not in a box that is out in the open. Have everything priced beforehand. Pray for good weather and be prepared to move into a garage if need be or have a rain date. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Remember the goal (at least for most of us) is to GET RID OF ALL THAT STUFF. So don't get hung up on price. What you see as a treasure and what cost lots of money is now worthless to you, so sell it at any price. You are the one who will have to pack up everything that doesn't sell. Also, have someone help you all day long. Good luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I agree price to sell! I don't know about you but I didn't want to haul all that stuff back inside! Some areas have message boards people check for local grage sale. Make sure to look for one and post!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2011