Smoking Cigarettes while pregnant???

I've never understood this...some women smoke while they are pregnant but then don't want smoking in the house after the baby is born or around the baby at all!
Does this make sense to anyone.?
** My S.I.L. smoked with all 3 of her kids but doesn't smoke in the house or let anyone else!

*****Let me make this CLEAR! I feel like some of the posters were telling ME smoking is bad as if this question is in reference to myself! I AM NOT A SMOKER AT ALL! So I have NEVER smoked while pregnant, before, or after! :)

vano0528

Asked by vano0528 at 1:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Whatever u do baby does,like smoking,it gets into babys lungs. I do not suggest smoking at all!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Its an issue of control. While being a smoker and pregnant the woman can't really control it, the addiction controls her. After the baby is born, she is able to control what is around her child and what is not. So she exercises her control by keeping all smoke away from the baby...even if she did smoke while pregnant.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 1:18 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I personally dont smoke but I can only imagine how hard it is to stop such an addiction....yes.it's wrong to smokr why pregnant but I do understand why she wouldn't want it around...maybe she feels guilty for doing so while pregant and is just trying to do the right thing now that the child(ren) are here
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 1:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You shouldn't smoke when your pregant is could harm the baby when its born.
    pinkunicorns

Answer by pinkunicorns at 1:20 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Second hand smoke is more harmful to the baby after birth. I can totally understand smoking while pregnant and then not wanting smoke around the baby.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:31 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• ashisamom-It is just as harmful to the baby while pregnant as it is after baby is here.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I strongly disagree with both, smoking while pregnant and smoking around the baby/children. Every time I see a woman with a pregnant belly smoking I want to slap them and read the back of their cigarette boxes about how smoking can affect their unborn baby. Every time someone smokes around my 14 month old son, I will tell that person to get away from my child smoking [such as going outside or go to the next house level (upstairs/downstairs) and smoke there] or if it is not my place just leave with my son and come back later. I had to go off on lover's mom's boyfriend for smoking not cigarettes, but MARIJUANA in front of my son that was in a confined area [bedroom]. He was only 5 months at the time on top of that. I wanted to slap the hell out of him when he did that.

Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 8:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• @an-apple-a-day> I never thought of it from that angel. But I guess I can understand that! I am not a smoker either ,so i dont understand the addiction.
    But there are so many women (my sister was one) that stopped the whole time she was pregnant and then started again the day she had her son! I know...stupid...is u cant quit for 9 months why start again!
    I dont like it, I have never allowed smoking around my DD!
    vano0528

Comment by vano0528 (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011