Do you make your kids finish dinner?

Our house rules are if you don't eat what's on your plate, don't ask for anything else. I know alot of moms who make seperate meals for a picky eater in the house and I think its silly. I have a picky eater and I try to make sure there is something he likes on his plate, but I also make him try new things.

lovinlifewith5

Asked by lovinlifewith5 at 1:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, but what's for dinner is what's available. If he asks for something soon after dinner, I pull out his plate and he can eat some of what he left. I intentionally don't dump it right away. Most of the time he doesn't ask for more, but occasionally he does. We try to get him to eat what we feel he ought to, but I don't want him to have issues with food like I do, so we definitely don't force him to finish his plate, and we don't fix him something different (unless I'm making something I know for aure he hates, in which case, he gets leftovers from something else in the fridge).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:52 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I don't make her eat something she doesn't like. But I do ask that she try it once.

That said, if she won't eat something I have things she can fix for herself.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I don't have a picky eater and usually she will eat what is on her plate and mine
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 1:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I do the same thing with my kid's plates....sometimes they're too wound up to sit down and eat. Leftovers in the fridge are a good idea, but my sil will literally cook a completely different meal for dd just because she doesn't want what's on the table...I think that's going to far.
    lovinlifewith5

Comment by lovinlifewith5 (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I got very lucky that my girls are such good eaters. If they say the don't like something then I know they really dont like it and try not to make it as much and if I do make it then I make sure that I have sides that I know they enjoy.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 2:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Nobody knows the life with a picky eater until they have a true picky eater. My son can and has gone for days without eating because he refuses to eat what is offered. He has sensory issues, it has to look good and smell good in order for him to eat, He doesn't like most junk food even, there are just a few things he can tolerate and they are provided.
    What I do find rather odd is my husband grew up in a family of 11, no plumbing or running water and out in the woods.....yet his mom made a big variety of food that everyone was happy, she never just made one meat and one starch and one veggie like most people do.
    but after having 3 perfect eaters who ate whatever is in front of them..they had a different dad.....the son I have now is from that guy raised in the woods with a mom who made a variety every night
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Depends on why they don't want to finish. In the end, though, they get nothing else. We don't serve dessert and there are no snacks after dinner. They better eat or they are going to go to bed hungry. I don't make separate meals and they are required to try everything I've made. I try to make meals that have at least 1 thing each kid likes but they aren't usually picky so they eat anything (except my oldest who likes to be a pain). If they don't like what is served they go without. There are a few things I make that I know certain kids just do not like and when I make those I will make something else or they have their choice of leftovers in the fridge.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• At my house, what I fix is what's for dinner. Period. There are many nights when I fix something I don't particularly like, but I make it because everyone else does. And vice versa. If the kids don't want to eat, they sit at the table with us until we're done. We pray together at dinner as a family and we eat together as a family. If the kids aren't hungry, they don't get anything later. If they don't like what's served, they don't get anything later. I don't play the, "I don't like it. Can I have something else?" game...
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 2:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• This is hard to say, because if he/she is a picky eater the majority of the time then I would let him/her know that he/she should be more grateful, because there are a lot of people in this world that doesn't have a choice about what type of food they can consume. If he/she is only a picky eater every once in a while, then I can find something at home that he/she do like.
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 2:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Oh man, I was a fat kid because of the FINISH EVERYTHING ON YOUR PLATE RULE! I would NEVER make my kid eat something he didn't want, however, I wouldn't allow him to get dessert either if he didn't finish. If I make something they don't like, they have the right to eat fresh fruit or a sandwich, but they have to get it themselves. Everyone's happy.
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 3:35 AM on Apr. 20, 2011