Baby took a turn for the worse

My baby is just over a month old and she used to sleep great night and day but now she has taken a big turn and wont ever sleep, if she does she has to fall asleep in our arms and and soon as we put her down she wakes up 15 mins later or if not straight away me and my boyfriend have no idea what to do, its putting alot of stress between us and i feel helpless, she never used to do this..what happened?

Misslondon

Asked by Misslondon at 2:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you triend swaddling baby? wrapping her lower half and arms before you start rocking? My six month old has never slept more than 20 mins in her crib. She still sleeps with me, but now I'm trying to get her to sleep in her crib by putting the crib next to my bed. There are things made that are like mini cribs that attatch to your bed too, so you can reach over to feed baby or let them know that you are there.
    Rose4Lily

Answer by Rose4Lily at 2:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I wouldnt really call it a turn for the worst, I thought your baby was seriously ill or something! She is only a month old, they go through different sleeping problems and patterns. Maybe she is getting used to being held? Is she held all the time when she is not asleep? Do you normally wrap her, if you dont maybe you can try that she may feel more secure, when you try to put her down and she wakes up to you leave her there to see if she will settle down instead of picking her right back up?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My little girl had the same problem when she was about three months old. When I took her to the doctor, I found out that she had a stopped up nose and couldn't breath. When you're holding her, her head is elevated and the stuff is able to drain but when you lay her down then her air passages are blocked. Both my daughter and I have this problem. Try letting her sleep in her car seat or in a bouncy seat. Also, right before bed, turn on the shower as hot as it will go and sit on the side with the doors and windows closed and the shower curtain around her and just let her breath in the steam. If not, she may have a deviated septum or something like that. It could be medical or it could be seperation anxiety.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 2:34 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I thought she was badly ill also.

Anyway it sounds like a growth spurt. Google it n check the symptoms.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:29 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have a feeling that its normal for her to behave this way when it comes to her sleeping pattern. I think some babies go through this at their early months. I don't have much knowledge about health though so I would recommend seeing a pediatrician about your concerns.
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 7:52 AM on Apr. 20, 2011