My son is always getting a cold

My son is always getting a cold. It can be 80 degrees outdoors the majority of time and he will still catch a cold. Right now, he is coughing and sneezing. He also has light green runny bowel movements. Does anybody know why my son keeps getting sick like this?

Diamond2010

Asked by Diamond2010 at 3:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he in day care? Maybe that's why. If so, I would bathe him as soon as he gets home and make sure he takes a daily multi-vitamin. Use a cart cover when you grocery shop if he sits in the basket seat since there are more germs on the handle of a cart than a public toilet. Hope he feels better soon :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If he's in daycare or if he's around a lot of other kids (park, library, museums, playgroup, etc.) the germs will spread from one kid to another. And it seems like once they get one cold, their immune system is a little dampened so they are more susceptible to a new bug.. thus the never ending cold! Maybe it's time to reinforce hygiene (washing hands after coming home, before and after eating, etc.)? Or maybe take a little break from the public (as much as possible) until he's all better? And try to make sure he gets as much sleep as possible and takes a multivitamin. Daily probiotics could also help to get his tummy back in shape and might help to vamp up his immune system to reduce how many new bugs he gets. Honestly, I take a daily probiotic. too - helps me not get sick every time he does!! Good luck!

Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2011