Should I be worried about his fever?

My 19 month old son has had a persistent fever for the past day and 1/2 now and I'm starting to get very worried. it started out very low grade on monday night (around 99.5-100.5) I gave him Ibuprofen and that seemed to do the trick so I didn't worry too much since he fractured his leg on Friday and I know babies can develop low grade fevers when healing.
then around noon on Tuesday I checked his temperature again and the fever was back, so I took him to the doctor trusting my intuition. unfortunately I could only see the doctor on call and not the pediatrician I trust. she told me he was probably just getting the beginnings of a virus despite the fact that I told her he had had a runny nose for a week...
as the day went on his fever rose to about 102.5-101.9 despite medicine and me doing everything to keep it down. the lowest it got before I put him to bed was 100..
I just went in to check his temp and low and behold it's 101.5 again, I gave him another dose of Tylenol and put him back down and didn't give him another blanket despite his shaking... I'm so stressed, I want to trust the doctor but I've never dealt with a fever that's this persistent. any advice? should I go to sleep or stay up and watch him? (PS I don't think it's infection because his fracture doesn't seem to be hurting him at all)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get a 2nd opinion, a 3rd and a 4th if you have to. You trust in what you know and if you know that something is not right....go with it.

GL mom
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 4:53 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Call and talk to his reg ped. Definitely persist. In my opinion, Mom's instinct is usually right.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Those are not high fevers. In my opinion, a fever is the body fighting something off (infection) and I let it do it's job unless my babies are uncomfortable (have pain at all) or it gets too high/ can't sleep. Then, you can use motrin & tylenol. Also if you call the doctor, they can write all of this in your file and keep track (telling you when to come in)

Get second opinions like the first mama said, if you need to. It is up to how you feel, what you think is going on. You know your child!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 7:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I took my 17 month old to the ER with a temperature of 104.5 for 5 hours and all they did was dose her with ibuprofen. I won't give her medication unless it rises above 102.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2011