How long does an ultrasound take?

I was so excited and in a daze when I got my ultrasound with my daughter I never paied attention to how long we were there.. Now I have my ultrasound tomorrow and need to know how long it will take! We are thinking about taking my daughter but we dont want her to be irritated by sitting there so long..Also do you HAVE to have a full bladder? With my daughter I peed right befor we left and drank like 3 bottles of water wheile we were waiting. I just dont see how they expect a pregnant woman to hold there pee that long!! 20 minutes and Im about to burst!!

GaBrIeLlEsMaMa

Asked by GaBrIeLlEsMaMa at 4:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I never had to have a full bladder, but I know some places require it. I guess I'd give them a call first.

My 20-week seemed to take 30-45 minutes, as the tech measured every little thing and had to wait for baby to start wiggling for different things. Other checks I had were more like 5-10, I think...it's not really a time you care to watch the clock, so I guess I'm not sure! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• i had mine today and it was about 45mins long i think it depends on where your baby is being coraportive and they can easly what they need to see and measure what they need to measure. my baby was being stuberned and we have to go back but i think they typically shedual you for a hour. and i didnt have to have a full bladder but they say to have a full bladder if your having a vaginal u/s im assuming your not. good luck and congrats
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• it's about 20-30 minutes, since they have to take pics of the organs and all, and you do have to have a full bladder, or the pictures may not come out right, or they wont' be able to get a picture at all. i went while preggo with my DD, and i forgot i was supposed to have a full bladder, so i had to go in again another day to get better pictures. as for your DD going in, make sure it's ok with the tech/doctor/clinic you're getting it at, cuz some places won't allow kids.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I never have had to have a full bladder with all 3 pregnancies they actually told me to empty it. But my took about 20 min.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 4:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Yes i always had to show up with an almost full bladder, but only because they tested my urine monthly... hehe.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I think it depends on what they're looking at. My first ultrasound was to check to see if I was pregnant. It took 15 minutes. My second took and hour and a half because they were taking measurements to see how far along I was and to determine my due date. After that, I got an ultrasound every time I went to see my OB/GYN and it took 5-10 minutes so he could check my fluid, check baby's position, look at my placenta, etc. I'd count on it being at least 30-45minutes.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2008