Should people on any kind of public assistance get drug tested ? like welfare, food stamps, grants,etc.. the people who apply for public assistance should pay an application fee and that would cover the cost of the drug testing.

there should also be random drug testing too.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 6:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely, I have to pass a test to get hired into any kind of job so i can support my kids. If im not clean i make no money & end result is my kids dont eat. Welfare should have piss tests & random drug screenings, It would cut down on alot of the "lifers".
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 6:51 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It doesn't make much sense to have them pay an application fee IMO..... If you need assistance you obviously don't have money. I agree they should review clients. My neighbor has been on welfare for 20+ years, doesn't have her kids anymore. She gets her rent paid and just sits and smokes cigerettes all day (she has no illnesses), people like that piss me off, yet I left an abusive relationship and needed help and I can't get it. I think they really need to look at who they are giving their services to!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I'm on the fence about drug testing. Regardless if the mother does drugs, her kids still need to eat. Kids are innocent & shouldn't have to starve because of their stupid mother.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• when i was pregnant with dd i was on medicaid, and they drug tested me every doctor's appt. i did feel that it was a little invasive, but i didn't have anything to hide, and honestly, i think it's a good thing. besides, the doctor told us all the time that he dealt with mothers on drugs, and how it posed a medical risk to the unborn children. if he's informed, then he can get better help for the children. at the very least, he can report it.
    i do have to say that i think it's a little ignorant to think that people that apply for govt assistance would be capable of paying a drug testing fee. no, i don't know who would pay for it, but i mean, imagine you're applying for TANF (money assistance), because you're OUT of money. and they say, "sure, we can give you money to pay your bills, but first, give us $XX so we can make sure you're not taking drugs." it just doesn't sound feasable.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 6:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Thank goodness for public assistance for those who really are struggling. Here's my point of view. I totally agree with the drug testing idea but I also think it should be mandatory all women on public assistance get a birthcontrol shot as well. If you can't keep yourself above water you sure can't afford to bring more mouths into this world. I know a couple people who have relied on public assistance after a major event in their life but riding the system didn't become a way of life. I also agree with education if they'll take it. I won't say how I've encountered a lot of people on public assistance but a lot of them don't want education and find every way possible to get on disability rather than get their ass out and work like everyone who's supporting their lazy butts. My statements DO NOT include the elderly, handicapped,etc. I'm talking about people perfectly capable who choose to take the easy road.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 7:21 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I wold be more in favor of work skills training, financial and nutrition classes as those (together with just plain bad luck) seem to be the most pressing matters facing these families-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• gwen, why do you come in here every single week posting a new rant about people on public assistance? You get the same answers every week, no matter how you change up your bitching and whining. Do they keep turning you down or something?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yes. If the kids re in the home with a parent who does drugs then they don't really need to be in that home or the mother needs treatment to be a better mother. Plus the way food stamps work the *kids* could qualify and *not* the parents. So instead of $400 a month they would get $200 until the parents were clean. ( I totally made those numbers up) Just like some college students, undocumented immigrants and workers who are on strike don't qualify. Part of the family will.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yes, as someone who has had to use public assistance, like Medicaid, at different points in my life, I believe there should be mandatory drug testing. That alone would eliminate a huge number of applicants and free up a ton of money. I also believe, that they should not offer services to illegal immigrants. I have no problems with people immigrating here, just do it legally and pay taxes.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Well first off if they are hard up and need assistance how are they going to pay an application fee? Thats silly to even suggest they do that. In some states being a drug addict is considered a disability, and you automatically get food stamps if you are disabled. So, then what?
    I dont think they need to be drug tested. I think that they should be offered retraining skills and job placement. At that point they would be drug tested and if they should fail to get a job due to a dirty test then I think they should not receive aid.

Answer by gemgem at 8:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2011