If this was your situation would you have opted for the c-section?

I was in labor for 32 hours and pushed for 4. He was face up and every time I pushed his head tilted back and his chin got stuck. They tried guiding him out with a finger to keep his chin down but it didn't work. they told me I could push for one more hour or do the c-section. I asked if I had any chance of getting him out and they said probably not so I just did the C-section. what would you have done? Oh and my DD is in the same position (37 weeks) I scheduled a c-section again because they said I only had a 20% chance of delivering her via vbac.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• The first I would have gone c-section at the point to. But your second pregnancy, I would not have scheduled a c-section. I would have tried a vaginal birth. My first was c-sectio, my second was vaginal. Every birth is different.

Answer by louise2 at 7:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The fact that said you have a 20% chance of delivering VBAC in the hospital is laughable....try more like 0%. They will all pay you lip service but when it comes down to it, they'll find a reason to do a c-section. Unfortunate but true.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I did do a second c-section. To be honest i would have loved to vbac i really wanted to experience it, but the doctor scared me into doing a c section. the next year my friend did vbca and i kind of got mad that i didn't fight my doctor more.

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 7:18 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Definitely a c-section. A scheduled c-section is so much easier than what you went through. It will be a piece of cake!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:52 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I would try to do a VBAC with the second one.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I would do a c-section. Especially, if your doctor recommended it.

Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 7:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• In your situation, I most likely would have gone with a c-section. With my last baby (#3) they were threatening a c-section, pretty much acting that it was going to take place, but I fought it knowing that I have had 2 successful vaginal deliveries already. My dd was just coming down too slow for them and they wanted to be done with me I think. With that being said, I also think that the one pp is right, in that they try to find a reason for a c-section. This is your decision so whatever you feel most confident and comfortable with is your answer.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Did you get up and move around while in labor? Did you try pushing while on hands and knees? I suspect that you spent the whole labor and pushing while on your back.

I would not have scheduled a c-section. Not to mention, baby can always move all the way up to while they are coming out.

In fact , I think you could maybe have had the chance to have the first one if they worked with you and let you move and didn't coach you with purple pushing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:02 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yes, I would go with a csection. I had a 2nd one and it was even easier than my first. I had 3 vaginal deliveries before my csections and I actually preferred the sections.

Answer by missanc at 8:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yes I was moving around. I was not on my back flat. I had an epi after 29 hours. (that's just in the hospital not counting the other 4 I was at home with 5-10 min apart contractions). I was exhausted and couldn't do any more. I tried. They had me propped up so I was basically sitting after on my back wasn't working. They also gave me the end of a sheet to pull on to make myself more up right and force me to push correctly. Thought the epi was allowed to wear of 30 min into pushing I as not an efficient pusher. The nurses were doing the pushing for 3 hours then my doctor came in agave it the last hour with her coaching. They really did try to get him out that way I think. My DD is in the same face up position so they said I could try and VBAC and there was nothing to stop me but it would more than likely not be successful. Especially since my DS was only 7lbs 9 oz. and I couldn't push him out face up.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2011