Any advice on living green?

I would like to live the green life, because it seems like people that lives green saves more money than people that doesn't live green. People that has green lifestyles pays less when it comes to electricity, gas, clothing, etc. Any suggestion?

Diamond2010

Asked by Diamond2010 at 7:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Recycle (plastic, glass, cardboard. We save the tin, steel, & aluminum to recycle for cash. It's not much though.

Buy less, use less. Buy only what you need/ love.

Start a garden & compost.

INstead of throwing things in the trash, donate them (gently used items) to a local organization. I give ours to Salvation Army because they are a Christian organization but there are many in our area to choose from.

Combine driving trips to one day (instead of going to the store every other day, try going once a week)

Turn it off when you're not using it (tv, computer, lights, fans)
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 7:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• We changed all our light bulbs to the incandescentlight bulbs. We try not to leave lights on unless we need them to see what we are doing or going. Like this, we watch tv in the dark. We have gotten use to walking through the house in the dark.  We try not to use the heat/AC unless the temperature is either below or higher then a certain temperature.

Answer by louise2 at 7:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Buy secondhand, use cloth diapers, compost,
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:51 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It tends to cost allot to be able to start to live green. Who's got the money for a new hybrid car? Or $8 each for a compact bulb times however many sockets you have to replace in your home? Recycling can be a major pain. You have to remove labels and wash containers out or the recycling wont take them here. I dont think people are saving all that much living green, but the savings to mother earth have to be worth it. Now if we could only get everyone on this planet to do it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• To me living green is having disipline to do without unnecessary luxuries people associate with the overblown American lifestyle. Something I do to live green since you posted in Home & Garden is I use our used coffee grounds as a way to keep bugs off my garden plants or other plants outside instead of chemical insecticides. It works great and recycles. Dry you're clothes on a clothes line and if you dont like the "crisp" feel to your clothes and have a dryer throw them in for just a few minutes to soften them. Turn off lights you don't need. I tease that we live in the dark..if we're in the living room, the lamp is on and if nobody is in the other rooms..there aren't any lights on. I pay attention to packaging in the store. I'll buy a big box of something like animal crackers, etc instead of buying the individually wrapped little bags. Just pay attention to things like that and it's a start. :)
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 8:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• change all your light bulbs to those expensive good ones that last forever, grow your own veggies, compost (you can compost so much, it would blow your mind away), recycle everything. we recycle so much, that we barely have any trash.

Some things are expensive, but even out over the years. We have a solar powered water heater, it was expensive...but in two years it payed for itself & then some. We recycle water. All of our shower water goes into the toilets. I don't know how it works, but saves us SO MUCH on water bills! We collect rain water for our garden, what else....DH is a big ole green head...he's hard chore about it. I love it though, because his enthusiasm makes it easier for me

fyi rentamom, coffee doesn't do too much to keep bugs off plants. It's used as a fertilizer for the dirt. It slowly releases nitrogen into the soil, plus worms eat it leaving lots of good worm castings behind. Try cayenne water....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:31 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Definitely recycle, repurpose what you can- like instead of throwing away old clothes, cut them down and resize them for someone smaller in your family(just an example), turn off AND UNPLUG things when you're not using them, and drive less by combining all your errands when you can. Also, even if you live in an apartment, you can grow things like herbs and some veggies for your family. We live in an apartment and we have laying chickens, because we live in a farming community, so we have eggs and meat right there. We also grow some of our veggies. We're working on building up to having a full farm- we already own our own property, just need to get a house built/put on the land. We're doing what we can for now. I drive WAY less than I used to, and $20 in gas will usually last me a whole week in my van.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:52 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Honestly, I would walk to your local library and Google it!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• we recycle and reuse and carpool when we can
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• there are a lot of great websites and blogs out there with good advice.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2011