Do you think people who severely disabled (like quads, or confined to a bed /wheelchair for life ) are selfish for having children knowing full well they can't do a lot of things with and for that child ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 8:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't. In fact, those are the children who stand the best chance of learning early in life that it is not all about themselves.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• No because they DO figure out how to do things, be it through hiring a nanny or pushing their limitations. And sorry but a Quad - that's 4 children born to the same mother at the same time - not a Quadriplegic.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• To each his own. Nothing wrong with wanting a child, unless you know your child will be severely disabled like you, then it's a matter of being selfish, because why would anyone knowingly have a baby knowing it would be disabled for life? It just dosnt make sense to me.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• No, people have to make their own decisions, and there's more to having and loving a child than playing catch and changing diapers. BTW, think twice before you call someone a "quad" again. How horrible. The word is quadriplegic. People are people and should not be defined by their disabilities.

Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• yes IF they don't have secure finances (more secure than avg person) and also secure support system of many people. Will child be in daycare? Suppose child has 5 sick days in a month... an average spouse would then be fired and jobless.

I think they can do it and even be super parents. But they need to be BETTER prepared and MORE determined than the majority of parents. I've heard the stress rates on marriages like that are sky high..... counseling should be a must and separation of baby care and adult assistance.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I think a person can adapt to anything they put their mind to. A person with disabilities can care for a child just the same. Besides love is from the heart. Right?
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I don't think physical disabilities are related to whether or not a person has selfish motives in terms of family planning. Physically disabled people can either have children for selfish reasons or not - it's individual - just like it is for physically abled people.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You are watching that woman on TLC aren't you? They replayed that episode the other night and I wondered if anyone had ever asked that on here and now there is...LOL
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 10:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• No way! God makes miricles and God blesses those with children who are meant to have them! Please dont give hibbingsmom anymore reasons to be mean!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• No. I think everyone who has the desire to be a good parent should have that opportunity.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 11:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2011