How to bump one's own question? (How to get people excited about an event?)

This is a follow up to a question last night. If I cannot find helpful answers, please send me links to more helpful resources.

I gave a presentation for 150 people last night that only three people showed. I order food from Sodexo. As as for Sodexo, they are very expensive (and very manipulative competitive wise). Almost all the food was thrown away. I couldn't get another food server (Sodexo's turf) and the food couldn't be donated because it was hot & Sodexo does not allow food standing for more than an hour to leave the banquet hall.

The presentation was free for people to attend. The subject was about Income Recovery in Times of Financial Disaster. This event gone wrong is a huge hit on me because of the budget approval and the money spent.

I advertised through the newspaper, through online media, through posters, through stacks of bookmarks , and through sandwich boards. I visited many civic groups to promote the presentation, and gave out plenty of bookmarks. I even went to the town's chamber of commerce, main street program, the county's economic development corp, and attended many of the town's meetings (& put forth effort on the town's part) to spread the word about my event.

Again, only three people showed - & these three I shuttled from the domestic abuse center.

How can I get people to respond to advertising and excite people for the event?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 8:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• You can advertise that space is limited, you must call and reserve your seat. Try and get the local news or paper to run a spot as a human interest piece. People today tend to shy away from ""Income Recovery in Times of Financial Disaster""" seminars today because of all the negative press suggesting this is a scam to get you to spend $$ for things to help you that you can do yourself. You might want to re-consider the title of this as well for that reason alone. People are very wary of others claiming to have a sure fire way to recover lost investment $ and financial planning advice. Most of them today are just scams. Why provide food? Its a free seminar. Look into your local hotels and see what conventions they are hosting and your local shows like the gun show, pet show, art show to see if you can get space to pass on your info.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• This seems to be an ongoing problem, I'm the formation chair for a New Chapter of American Business Women's Association forming in SE Houston, and getting press releases printed can be pretty tough, as there is a lot of competition for the same space.

But what surprises me, is that even when they make RSVP's they don't show up. We've been using the evite system for RSVP's and getting the word out, and it was suggested that we switch for eventbrite, and we are in the process of doing that now. It does not get caught in corporate spam filters (at least less then evite).

But it seems to be all about follow up, getting word out there and keeping word out there, reminding them about the upcoming meeting or event that they RSVP'd for. . .

Looking forward to hearing what others have to say on the subject

CathyJELady
    CathyJELady

Answer by CathyJELady at 8:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You cannot bump your own question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Do you have any friends who own kiosk businesses at the mall? You can ask them to drop your flyer in their bags as they sell... Also, I would try churches, laundry mats, even leave them on people's door steps. It's hard to get people interested in attending events like that. I am sure if you offered free beer at the local pub, you'd have people show up! LOL! I've thought about that one....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You cannot bump your own question.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The word "disaster" is scary to people, and kept them away.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2011