Illegal Immigrants

We all know this issue is all over the news. Should they be elgible for free medical care? Job assistance? Free lunch at school for their kids? Should more be done to secure our borders?

I live in a city with lots of illegals. Many of them are driving around without insurance. So when they smash into you drunk you are left holding the bill. Also our schools are already overcrowded and illegal children are allowed to enroll in schools and don't have to show any documentation. I have to show my daughters social security card, birth certificate, and proof of residence to enroll her.

I also realize it is an almost impossible task securing our borders. Especially when border agents are given bean bags instead of bullets.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• They should not be provided these services for free or at all b/c it comes out of my pocket on top of what I pay for my family already.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I dont think the parents should get a thing. However I dont punish children for their parents mistakes, so if they cannot eat at school I think they should be fed. If they get hurt or sick then yes I think they should be able to get treated. As for the parents, no, nothing.

Answer by gemgem at 9:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I think in order to receive DL's they should be required to take a class for the one's who actually do have one. I think they should have to also go to school while their kids are at school to learn english( read,write and speak). They should have to actually do something. That being said, if you were to know how extremly difficult it is to get a green card before coming into this country and how expensive it is you'd do the same thing they are doing. In order to get one you have to 1st own outright property 2nd have alot of money thousands. So it's not easy for them. they need to understand nothing in life comes free you have to work for it. It's not something that's just given out. (work permits) for example. In utah they tried to pass a law to give out work permits but it never went thru. I do feel sorry for these people though if you think about they came here for a reason. Not because they wanted too.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• listen to this. in other countries if they find you illegal, you get 7 years of hard labor, death, and some other things, here in the grand ole usa, they get free health, free education, free housing(section 8), free food(food stamps) AND THEN THEY MAKE MORE EFFING BABIES TO GET MORE FREE STUFF... I SAY SEND THEM BACK! sorry if i sound racist(i am really not). ITS JUST THAT I HAVE TO WAIT TO BE ON PA BC THERE ARE TOO MANY DAMN ILLEGALS APPLYING FOR PA..
    sexcimomof2

Answer by sexcimomof2 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• they came for a better life and better opportunity their country could not offer. As for medical services the same applies they should have to do something to obtain it not just expect it.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I will probably get bashed for this-- but this is MY opinion---- NO illegals should NOT be given a 'free ride' -- the rest of us (legal citizens) have to pay for our kids school lunches, we have to pay for health care, we have to show documentation to register our kids in schools..... so why can't they be forced to do the same! Either become a legal citizen or go back where you came from!
    When my Great-Gran and Great-Grampa immigrated here in 1918 they did not know a word of English... they learned. They did NOT get hand-outs.. they found whatever job they could to provide for their family. They did not get free medical care.. they had to pay for it just like everyone else. And Yes they did become US citizens and were very proud of it too!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:34 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• **Big sigh** I feel sorry for the people of Mexico. I can understand anyone wanting to provide a better life for their family. I try to imagine how much different my life would be if I were not born here in the US. But I cannot imagine how a country in as much financial trouble as ours, can continue to carry the burden of so many illegals. I really don't know what the answer is, though. I don't want to see anyone's kids starve.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• They should have to pay INTO THE SYSTEM to be able to TAKE OUT OF THE SYSTEM. This just irritates the hell out of me. They aren't required to comply with all the rules and regulations we as US citizens have to comply with. This is one of the many many flaws in our system. What country could we go to and get free anything?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Should they be elgible for free medical care? No
    Job assistance? No
    Free lunch at school for their kids? No
    Should more be done to secure our borders? Yes

LOL, here ya go, meooma...all this is simply IMHO. :-)

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Well, most kids born to illegals here in the United States are made legal citizens automatically. A child born in the US qualifies, but, the family size has to be under income level for the only citizen. What that means is this: The income level varies by number in family, the city you live in, etc. For example, if you have to make under 20K/year for a family of 5 to qualify, when the child is considered, all income to the family is considered, but, the "beneficiary" becomes a family of 1. Therefore, the entire family would have to make less than the income limits for 1 person in order for their child to qualify, and, the child is the only one that receives benefits, and, those benefits are in quantity for 1. (so, a family of 5 may receive $350 in foodstamps, but, a family of 1 would receive $100, for example)
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2011