Do you think it is right?

for a boy's Dad to call him names and tell him that he is a sissy and the he needs to get a thicker skin and not things bother him or be so sensitive about things? Or do you feel it is abuse?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 9:41 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• No! Calling any child names in just WRONG. No excuse for it what so ever!!!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• that's is abusive

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I dont think its right and would be kicking some daddy butt.

Answer by gemgem at 9:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I dont think its right at all!! IF I had a son and heard my DH saying that to him.. oo there would be words said and prb someone leaving my house ticked!! Saying things like that to any child is wrong and its a kind of bulling and is not acceptable!! PERIOD!!!
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Calling anyone names is emotionally abusive, words hurt period, especially when they are coming from someone who is suppose to love and support you. It's one thing to talk about feelings and how to deal with them. It's also important to talk about how manage feelings and not let other people get to them. Both of my boys have very soft feelings and always have, but I've managed to raise them to not worry about what others think of them. There is a standard they have to hold for themselves, and if other people don't like it too bad. I've also taught them how to deal with emotions, when things seem unfair or against them, you do have to suck it up sometimes and learn to manage what you can control in the situation. Some kids just take things personally and you have to work on a childs self-esteem and self worth to help them work that out on their own, calling them names isn't going to help.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I think its wrong and will affect the way the boy feels about himself for the rest of his life if it doesn't stop.
    soccer.mom

Answer by soccer.mom at 1:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I think it's okay for a dad (or a mom) to talk with a child about not being so sensitive and not letting other people get to them. I've had to do this with my older daughter, who is EXTREMELY thin-skinned to the point of becoming too distracted worrying about so-and-so and neglecting to pay attention in class.
    Calling names to try to "toughen up" a child is wrong, wrong, wrong. So really, it all depends on how the parent is approaching the issue.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• too vague to answer.

i think calling a child names is mean. to call a boy a sissy isnt very nice.

But I DO think that a father teaching a boy to buck up and get a thicker skin, under certain circumstances, is ok.  

Heck Ive told all 3 of my kids to get a thicker skin.

Anonymous

• Maybe the father is verbally abusive by putting his son down by calling him names. The father should explain to him that he is too sensitive without the name calling.
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 10:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• eh...I don't really think its ABUSE. I mean...depending on the circumstance..like if the dad if pushing him around and saying this crap..then yeah..thats kinda mean but if he's just talking to his son and trying to get a lesson across...then no, I really don't consider that abuse. Its true in some cases..its good to have a thick skin so things don't bother them so much and they can better handle certain situations and circumstances in life...not every one in the world is sweet as pie...we ALL need to learn how to handle that.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:03 AM on Apr. 20, 2011