Can I make banana nut bread without baking soda?

I'm out and the truck's in the shop.

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 10:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yes, use baking soda, but you need to use more...2 or 3 times more...and possibly less salt, but it may affect the taste.

baking soda, baking powder, salt....these are all ingredients with a chemical reaction in your baking, so I try not to mess too much with them. With baking there is science involved, so I rarely make any changes to a recipe other than spices or flavorings....unlike any other cooking where the recipe is used more like inspiration!

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• http://chemistry.about.com/b/2009/11/17/substituting-baking-powder-and-baking-soda.htm

This will help with ratio. It says you need 2-3 times more baking powder if you're substituting it for baking soda.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yes, as long as you use Self-Rising Flour, do you have any of that you can use?
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Do you have baking powder? They're practically the same thing....

It will be a lot more dense without it...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If you've got baking soda and cream of tartar, you can substitute the same volume. For instance, if the recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of baking power, mix one teaspoon each of baking soda and cream of tartar (the powder, not the dressing for fish!). It won't change the flavor at all.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:34 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Thanks!! I don't have the self rising flour, we use whole wheat flour, btu I believe I have the other items! THANKS!
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• OK ladies I don't have baking SODA. So yeah we do have baking powder. Can I use that then?
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• yes, use baking powder....just use a little but more. There are added ingredients in baking powder, but i has baking soda in it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:53 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I never knew you could substitute it
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• yes
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2011