How do you make your child behave in public?

My 2yr old son is terrible in public! It seems like he know that since he is in public I can't touch him. If you wondering yes I do spank if he needs it, and I don't do it out of anger. I only spank if he is messing with the stove, plug, or anything that can put him in danger. Back to the subject, it seems like as soon as we walk in the doors of the store he starts screaming and kicking. It gets to the point where I don't want to go anywhere with him. After about ten minutes I can get him to calm down, but when hubby is with us he goes crazy. Last week went to a furniture store and he was just running around like a chicken with it head cut off. I tried to make him sit down, but its kind of hard when you have a baby on one arm. Hubby just acts like there is nothing is wrong. Some how while we was talkiing to the sales person he found a way to open the door and run out into the parking lot. Hubby ran after him and got him and I gave the baby to hubby and took ds out to the car and spanked his butt. The other day I had to take him out of the store numerous time because he was throwing a fit. I am at that point where I tried everything and nothing is working. What do you ladies suggest?

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• We do public time-outs and my son HATES them. He has to stand with his hands against a wall while people walk by and look at him. Sure, it sounds cruel & humiliating, but I've only had to use it twice. And he's 6 now.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 10:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• For the most part,he just did.
    We did provide bribes when he was smaller,mostly a dollar toy. Trust me,it was worth it. He just likes being out.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have always dropped what I was doing and taken mine to the nearest bathroom and disciplined him accordingly. Now all I have to say it "do you need me to take you to the bathroom?" and he immediately stops the bad behavior and says no. It has to be consistent too, you can't just take him to the bathroom sometimes and not others.

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If there's a shopping cart, strap him into it. When my kids were little we did this. If they wanted out we talked about the rules first. The rule was they could be unstrapped and walk with me but HAD to hold my hand. If they let go and tried to run off it was back into the cart. Yeah, they screamed, and I'm sure ticked off a lot of other people, but it was BECAUSE I wasn't giving into what they wanted. I'm not there to please other people. I'm there to do my business just like everyone else.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I instilled it from the get go. But the one and only time she threw a fit in public I responded in kind. We had gone to Baskin Robbins for ice cream. She wanted some ice cream they didn't have. She thew herself to the floor and kicked and screamed. So I did the same. about 30 seconds later she stood up and looked at me and told me I looked silly. I stood up and told her that was how she looked when she did it. She has NEVER thrown a fit in public again. Embarrasment works so does shock. The people in the store thought it was great.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Tell him "We can't take you to stores anymore because you can't behave". Then make sure he knows that you are going without him a few times. If he wants to with you tell him "You can only come if you behave." Warn him while you are in the car and walking into the store. If it doesn't work, don't take him for a while. Always tell him "I'm going to the store, I can't take you because you don't behave". I did this with my son and it worked.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Go over the rules before you go in. Once an infraction starts - calmly ask him the rule....if he tries again DO NOT ask again simply pick him up and either go to the restroom or the car to review the rules. Try to go back in a few minutes later.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:31 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I gave mine a stern warning that if he did it again he was getting a spanking. If he did it anyway, I would say, "I told you if you did it again you were getting a spanking. What did you do?" he says i did it again. I ask him what is he getting. He says spanking. I popped his butt. He wasn't throwing a fit, but, was messing with something. He NEVER threw a fit in a store. He knew i would snatch him up and spank him right there. You ARE allowed to pop a butt if they are acting like a wild child. You don't spank hard enough to leave a bruise, therefore, the cops won't fault you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• @BradenlsMySon that is what I fear the people in this town go crazy and will call the cops on you in a second if you touch a child.
    babygirl0782

Comment by babygirl0782 (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Well, my 5 kids are always well behaved and that is the rule and we are VERY consistant! I will leave a full cart and gohome and lay them down for a nap, before I will tolerate rudeness and embarrassment!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2011