Who here has lived in a foreign country? (spinoff)

I have. And you know what??? I learned the language. I lived by their laws. I was there legally. I respected the country and their customs. It was a Muslim country and I spent the time to learn the customs and courtesies. Why can't I expect the same in my country?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I have lived in several Western European country's and yes I also learned the languages and lived by their laws. I also wish people who come to America would follow our rules and laws but sadly they dont.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:21 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have. I lived in England, Spain & France. Everyone was very happy to speak English with me & were excited to practice the language. I think it's very callous to expect everyone to drop their beliefs & ways of life because they're visiting a country. Maybe that's why I'd be stoned if I went to a Muslim country? I like that the U.S. is a big ol' pot of crazy stew. Different bites, different textures, different spices.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 10:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I didn't drop my beliefs. But I respected theirs. You can do both. During prayer time I did not bother our driver, I did not use my left hand when dealing with people, and I followed many of the other customs out of respect without giving up who I am or what I believe.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Oh - when I say "stoned" I mean having stones thrown at me. Not the gnarley kind of stoned, dude.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 10:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If you consider my 7 month deployment in Iraq as living in a foreign country then yes I have.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I see what you're saying, but I don't think that our customs are that precise. We're a very young country. It's kind of like we're in our teenage years. We've got a wonderfully eclectic mix of people with their own traditions and customs. If your neighbor is Jewish, you're allowed to be Christian, Atheist, Buddhist, etc. I say accept our country for what it is. And be spicy. I love me some spice.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 10:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yes I have and I did respect them.

When showing respect you do not give up anything!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My point is that we don't have just ONE set of customs to respect. Is there something specific we're discussing? Maybe I just missed it?
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 10:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I guess I am more referring to coming to live here and expecting everyone to speak your language. Not learn Englsh which the majority of people speak.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I haven't, but I would expect to do just as you did. I mean, would you NOT want to be able
    to understand what the people were saying?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011