IRS question

My daughter is 33 and she is married and living in Florida, I live in Mass. She contacted me this morning via facebook and said she needed my ss# to file for an extension????? This raised a red flag to me. Does anyone out there in cafe mom land know if you need you parent ss# to file an extension for your taxes. She said the IRS sent her taxes back and said there was a problem, she thinks it could be from not changing her last name when she got married, said she changed all her credit cards but not her ss card. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Linda1012

Asked by Linda1012 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't do it via facebook. Before I did it at all I would check with a tax person or google it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Stay off facebook with it! Call H&R Block???
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Maybe they need to verify her identification? I know for an SSN card application there's a space for parents' SSNs. Maybe she has to provide it to prove she is who she says she is, since she never legally changed her name.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Sounds odd to me. I'd call and ask someone before you give it to her.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• She doesn't need your SSN to file her taxes.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• WARNING WARNING!!!!!
    That's what happens when your facebook and email account is hacked. They send messages to everyone asking either for money or private information.
    Talk to your daughter in person, verify this is the issue, then have her warn all her contacts, ASAP.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• She does not need your SS# to file an extension. Never send personal information via facebook.

She also did not need to change her name upon marriage. She could have a problem if she filled out her tax return with her married name and had not changed it with social security since then her name and SS# would not match. If she wants to change her name to her husbands last name then she needs to do it on everything. Drivers license, SS card, passport, at work, credit cards etc.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 10:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I agree with Candi, call your daughter. Most likely her facebook page has been hacked. She needs to change her password to her facebook account and her email that she logs into it with.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You daughter could not possibly need your social security number for her taxes

Answer by rkoloms at 6:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Do not give her your S.S. number She is not a miner! The I.R.S. would not ask for your S.S. number.even if she did not change her last name. Call the I.R.S. your self. She is of age. Do not give her your S.S. number!
    Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2011