Question about my ex and our Daughter's HS Graduation-

So, I divorced my cheating husband of 20 years a little over a year ago. I have full custody of both our children (Daughter 18/Son 15). My ex has little to no contact with our children. Our daughter turned 18 last weekend and she never rec'd a birthday wish/call from her Father. This man (can't really call him a man)....has done so much mental damage to our children and he never even tries to have any type of relationship with either of them. My daughter is graduating HS in June and doesn't want an invite sent to her Father, which I can't blame her. Wondering what other Moms thoughts are, or maybe one of you have been in a similar situation. I agree, WHY should he be invited? Our children obviously don't exist to him! Thank you in advance....PROUD single Mom!

bad

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Your daughter is 18 years old. She's old enough to decide who she wants and who she doesn't want at HER high school graduation. She doesn't want him, she doesn't have to invite him.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• woohooYour daughter has the right NOT to invite anyone she doesn't want to share her joy with. Honor her wishes and enjoy the festivities!!!!!

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It's your DD's graduation. She has the right to have who she wants there to celebrate her moment.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I would go with your daughter's wishes. It is her graduation, after all. And hopefully he doesn't just show up.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• if it makes her uncomfortable, then don't send him one. He might show up for the graduation anyway though....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My ex is the same, but we divorced in 98. I suggested saving grad tickets for him, but not his wife. He has never introduced her anyway. My son said no. He is not "wasting" his tickets on either of them. I let him make the call. It is his graduation. I think your daughter should invite who she wants.

Answer by gemgem at 10:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It's up to your DD.
    My DS wanted my ex there so, he hitched 300 miles there and back to see him graduate.
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 10:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i agree with previous answers, its your daughters call. if she doesn't want her so-called dad there, then he shouldn't be there. obviously he didn't care enough to be in their lives and its sad, really sad. because now when they go off to college, get married and have kids he probably won't be welcomed to that either.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Don't invite him. It's your DD's day and he will prob just ruin it anyway
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• As a child of a man that was anything but a good example of being a father I suggest you respect her wishes. Having a horrible father is very hard for a child and sometimes it is best for the child to cut contact from that situation in order to grow and move on. Sometimes your family is like a tumor and it is best to remove it quickly and hope the damage left behind is not permanent.

Anonymous