How do you handle toddler meltdowns?

The kind that are irrational and have no real solution.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let her get it out of her system.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Ignore and walk away.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I look at my daughter, ask her if she is done.. if she says "no" I say "bye" and walk a few feet away.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My son has High Functioning Autism so we deal with irrational melt down daily.. still at 6. I have learned his triggers, rational and not and try to avoid them or at least talk him through the anxiety before the melt down occurs. If we get to a full blown melt down I direct him to his room where he can 'scream it out' He is allowed to return when he is 'calm and happy' Any mess he creates during his melt down is his responsibility to clean up. No TV or video games until it is done. I actually do the smae thing with my Nero typical DD who is 3.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• when my daugher or son have a temper tantrum, I just walk away...if they are still screaming I just ignore till they quit usually it works.
    But if it still doesnt work just ask them questions usually gets them distracted!!
    mrs.keen

Answer by mrs.keen at 11:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You can check out this short video clip that offers great advice for parents of children that have melt downs and tantrums at http://www.toddlerbedandmore.com under the Toddler Tips For Parents tab. There are some other good tips there as well. Good Luck!
    toddler101

Answer by toddler101 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2011