What do you do to ensure your kids stay active?

wishbearmom

Asked by wishbearmom at 10:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Very limited TV and Wii time
    Mandatory outdoor playtime, weather permitting
    DH goes on bike rides with them
    I dance with them in the living room, even though I suck, lol
    I set a good example for them by being very physically active myself and discussing it with them
    ********************************
    Also, I just wanted to give you a big ol' pat on the back for your correct use of "ensure" here. Sometimes I feel alone in my knowledge of insure VS. ensure. :-)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Very little to no TV.
    Sports clubs, and outside chores.
    Animal caretaking.
    Homework done quickly afterschool, to delay the urge to lay around and snack.
    And lots of visiting, friends, church activities, neighbors and such.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• he is in sports, and we walk to the school to drop off and pick up the girl I babysit, he plays the kinect. He always wants to go to the park and skatepark.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:49 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• turn off the t.v. for a period of time every day...that way they're not glued to it and they usually find something fun to do
    asmama6706

Answer by asmama6706 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My kids enjoy being outdoors so when it's warm enough, we spend a lot of our day outside. They're also in sports programs at the YMCA.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:49 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I didnt let my kid's sit and watch TV or play video games for hours on end. Like the way I grew up, I pushed them OUT of the house to play outside with the other kid's. Curfew was when it got dark and the street lights came on.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• We have a rule in our house. If you are a kid and in school, you go to school get good grades and at all times are playing an after school sport. Mine can do something like little league, basketball, football, cheer, soccer etc all through our optimist club, or they can choose a sport like gymnastics, karate, and what have you. Mine are usually at practice (of some sort) 3 days a week after school. We also have always encouraged outdoor play, limited electronic play, and that keeps them active. We have a trampoline, swimming pool and bikes they use often.

Answer by gemgem at 10:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• We limit TV and video games in our house. Video games are allowed 20 min a day and extra time is earned using a 'ticket system' We go to the park several times a week. They are both learning to ride bikes. Ds takes horse back riding once a week. WE make our family activities involve getting up and moving. The zoo, the park, walking around the mall or shopping center.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I don't think I'll ever have to worry about that, my son never stops moving and when he gets tired he walks in circles and then musters up MORE energy lol!~ we are always actively playing with him also
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Family membership at the gym.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 11:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2011