What do you think about ABA in Autistic kids?I know this probably works for some but not for my son!How long before you can start seeing any change?

My son has been going to ABA for about 2 months now.He goes 5 days a week and I only see even more hyper behavior.H still thinks it is a place to play and thats all he thinks about it. I have seen absolutly no behavior change and let me remind you I pay $150.00 a week for this and I cannot really afford it.I am sure that it works for some kids but it really isn't doing anything for mine and i am thinking of pulling out of it.How long does it take to see results?I do not expect a miracle but I do expect him to get something other than playtime.I have a community of moms of Autistic kids who get together and work on the social issues of autism in our kids and it works pretty well.It is free too!We also get a chance to share others experiances and let our kids get to play with others like them!

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Can you maybe get a cheaper tutor? Is there a university or community college around you? A lot of times you can train students to do it for a much cheaper amount than an actual therapist. Just make sure that the student is properly trained. The way some of my clients have found additional help is by putting up fliers around campus.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 11:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I'm an ABA therapist. 2 months is hardly any time at all. Please, please, please stick with it. If you don't see ANY improvement in a year, then you can at least say you gave it an honest try.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 10:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• OMG I would practically KILL to get ABA for my son. My understanding is it is a fairly long process but in the end if you stick to it there is major changes.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• ABA has worked wonders for my son.
    He may be having a "two steps forward,one step back" issue. We see this in our son whenever he learns something new. Sometimes they can't process everything all at once
    Don't give up on it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have no personal experience w/ABA but my nephew has benefitted tremendously from it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2011