Kid's opinions

how do I deal with my kids' opinions on me vs my hubby? I don't know how to cook very much(never learned and seem to be a slow learner). Last night my husband was out talking w/ a neighbor, so I started on the pigs in a blanket. my mom made them by cutting the hot dogs in half and then split them, so I did that. As soon as my husband and the boys got into the kitchen, it was an immediate, "that's not right!". Chris found a way to make my wrong an okay. He asked the boys about the hot dogs after dinner and it was a resounding," I like yours, not mommy's!" It hurt that I seem to get that a lot. How do I make it hurt less?

tabbykat6802

Asked by tabbykat6802 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• How does DH talk about what you do? Kids learn from parents, so if DH praises your work, they will eventually too. If he dimishes your work, they will.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The only thing I can think of is to learn to laugh about it and turn the situation into a teachable moment for your kids about grace under pressure while providing the opportunity for a dialogue about tact and that everyone makes mistakes and everybody is learning all the time, even grown-ups.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:04 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Who said it's not right, your dh or your children? If it was your dh, I think you should speak to him about giving you more respect in this area so that your children do as well.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 12:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Go online try doing diffrent easy recipes, practice, you'll get better at it. They have many websites to make fun foods and snacks for the kids that they'll enjoy. here's a site I use sometimes, it has fun and easy recepies for kids. Maybe if you try some, the kids will praise you for them and make you feel good.

http://www.theideabox.com/Recipe_list.html
    Pixie81

Answer by Pixie81 at 3:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'd be worried about what he's teaching your boys and how to treat you, respect you. I'd talk to your husband about your hurt feelings.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Unfortunitly kids don't realize how much what they say really goes to our heart. Try a crock pot dinner. Really easy just toss everything in and your done. Take some cooking classes just for you so you feel better. But it doesn't go away I will warn you my boys are 27,26,25,20 and every once in awhile they will come out with something that really breaks my heart.....I don't know how old your kids are but make a sandwich and cut it into a shape with a cookie cutter or try to make a face on their plate out of food or even ketchup..you may not be the best cook but you can still be fun with food! good luck!
    d.boughton

Answer by d.boughton at 11:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• maybe have hubby help you learn to cook more. I know I'm not a great cook and my mom is, and yes at times my daughter says she likes grandmas food better. but then, I'll get her recipe, try it out and have my daughter help. I know I suck at cooking and we often joke about it. Make light of it is your best bet, and try to learn the way they like things done in the mean time. It'll save your sanity and theirs in the long run.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• i dont think it will ever stop hurting but make sure your husbands always sticks up for you and you be the only cook and tell them til you shut up about my cooking i will be the one cooking and who knows you might just learn and tell them it might not be your husbands way doesnt make it wrong
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• do things you know you are better at. Hubby has his deal... and you have yours... nobody kisses good nite like mommy
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 4:02 PM on May. 25, 2011