How do you get your kids to do their Homework?

Meline3

Asked by Meline3 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I say, do your homework. Seriously lol. They know when they walk in they get 30 minutes to wind down, get a snack, something to drink, and then its homework time. Once that is over it is usually time to go to practice (for whoever has it and whatever sport). No one goes to practice if homework isnt finished.

Answer by gemgem at 10:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My children know that when they hit the door after school, its straight to homework and snack at the dining room table.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Has to be done before he is allowed to do anything else.
    Good idea to provide a quiet spot for them to do thier homework.
    And provide a healthy snack and drink while they are working on it...brain needs energy after a long day of school.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• In our household, privileges are/were based on your weekly responsibilities, including homework. There's no gaming on school nights. Only on weekends. And, if there are any hassles with homework during the week, gaming time for the weekend was deducted. If gaming isn't part of your household, then choose a privilege your child gets & use it as leverage.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:02 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Snack then homework. No outside time, no game time, no tv time until homework is done.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:03 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I just tell them to do it. Actually, I don't even usually have to do that. My 2nd grader automatically does hers when she gets home. My 3rd grader's homework isn't due until the next Monday so he does it when he feels like it (usually a page a night but sometimes he skips). My 5th grader rarely has homework but does it on her own.
    They don't get to do anything until homework is done. They come home, use the bathroom and sit down to do their homework while I'm cooking dinner (they get home at 4pm and do their homework at the kitchen counter). Once they are done, they do their chores/eat dinner and once all that is done they can go watch TV/play video games or go outside. If they fight homework they sit at the counter until it's done.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2011