Needing help with sensory disorder!Any good recipes for kids with texture problems?

My son is 5 and has a sensory processing disorder and is a very picky eater.I was hoping anybody out there has the same issue and could give me some recipes for food I can try with him.I am worried about his lack of eating any veggies or meat .I give him vitamins but I know he cannot be getting the right amount of vitamins from the things he likes.He likes stuff with bold tastes like BBQ chips , every once in a while he will eat BBQ chicken .Please and thanks!

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Kids' Health

• before each meal give him a choice of try a bite of apple or a green bean. After one bite he can have his preferred meal. Praise each and every bite he takes even if he spits it out or it doesn't stay down. Always do this on an empty stomach to increase your chances of getting him to do this as well as the stomach content being low (a lot of kids will gag with new textures). Allow him to dip every thing in BBQ sauce if that works even in his try this or this. also giving him some oral stimuli. Having him chew on a straw some, getting and electric tooth brush that vibrates. Making sure he brushes his tongue and cheeks even if only for a few seconds. Reward and praise. Do not punish. I think I got it all if I remember something else she said I will let you know.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:08 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I don't know anything about feeding therapy, but I know the disorder. I have severe texture issues with my food. Get Jessica Seinfelds book , Deceptively Delicious, Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food" it's been great, even for me. Basically, she cooks and purees veggies that most people don't like and hides them in other foods. You can get sweet potatoes and broccoli into spaghetti sauce and there are no texture differences (I strain my plain Ragu because the little onions gross me out.)
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:38 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Is he is feeding therapy?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:03 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• We have a long waiting list here .We are signed up but our appointment is like 5 months away
    Brandy928

Comment by Brandy928 (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Well, with my best friends son his issues are with texture as much as flavor. So what does he eat WELL. Let's start there and I will see what I can find out for you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• He loves cheese, ,loves spagetti sauce,bbq flavor but not the texture of the meat , noodles, and cereal and that is about it .No kidding.
    Brandy928

Comment by Brandy928 (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I will talk to my friend tonight and she can ask her therapist tomorrow. Happens Thurs is his therapy day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• This is what I found out. The first thing you need to work on is flavor. Try finding something will eat such as pasta and increase the different flavors in it. Slowly in crease the amount of garlic or basil. Try start mixing different brands little by little. Then try mixing some Alfredo sauce little by little until he will eat just cheese sauce... Mix a few finely chopped bits of strawberry into his cereal and slowly increase the amount but not the size. Any where you can slowly increase flavors. This alone can be a LONG process. Once you are making head way you can start to work on texture. Again in the pasta. Start by adding a little bit of ground beef practically pureed and increase the amount little by little then start processing it less and less. Again this should take up to 6 months to get him just eating ground beef. Then try chicken int he same manner. Since he is old enough to negotiate....
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I haven;t dealt with this but here's a bump
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 3:57 AM on May. 24, 2011

• My son has similar issues and i am wondering the same thing. I have only marginal luck with some tricks. I find a food that he will usually eat and I try to covertly add foods he won't eat like veggies and meats. I recently made pizza pockets and added broccoli - which he does like that tast of, but not texture. It was hidden and small so not an issue. Next time i will puree more veggies and meat into the sauce. I hope more people have answers.
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 4:03 AM on May. 24, 2011