Do you ever get parenting advice from people you don't consider good parents?

What do you say to them? Do you just smile, nod and ignore their advice?

alphamom26

Asked by alphamom26 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes, just smile and ignore. I also take it into consideration just in case it might be sound advice... even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.
    Serenity611

Answer by Serenity611 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• ummm all the time. and for the most part that's what we do. My in laws try to give us advice all the time though and all three of their children did their stent with drugs and alchohol including my husband before I met him so I try as nicely as possible to tell them they had their chance to raise their kids , and these are our children and we'll do things the way we see fit
    asmama6706

Answer by asmama6706 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yes I do and I smile and say "huh" ok ,.. I like Serenitys view on it!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• From my sil. I have no doubt she loves her kids... she just has no rules and wants to be their friends more than parent. We got into it over the summer while we were visiting. She wanted my kids to have no rules, eat whatever they wanted (which is 100% junkfood) whenever they wanted, etc. When we made them go to bed at 9pm she threw a fit and told them to get back up. She told them it was okay to lie to us because what happened at AJ's house stayed at AJ's house. Then one night she started going on and on about all the things I was doing wrong. Even her ex (who hands out at the house a lot) thought she was nuts. Only 1 of her 3 kids has lived with her the last 5 years, she had a restraining order out on the oldest (18), the other 2 are constantly in trouble at school, the oldest has been arrested. My kids are well behaved, never in trouble and mind us (mostly). I ignore her. My husband got into a huge fight, though
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yup, that's what I do.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 11:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I smile, nod and ignore them
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Smile, nod, even say thanks, and then ignore. Works great.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• OH! You mean my MIL???? Who INSISTS on giving me parenting advice even though her 28 yr old son who has never had a job, is a functioning alcoholic and is robbing her blind still lives with her??? Is that who your talking about??? The same MIL who when my husband had excema as a child instead of buying him a $3 tube of cortozon 10 to help soothe his skin bought his brother (the alcoholic theif) a pair of Jordon's.....yeah...I just nod and smile...but I'm gritting my teeth so hard that I'm terrified that I'm going to break them in my mouth.
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• just smile nod and go about your day its less stressful to let them talk then do what you feel is right for your family
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yes, and I usually let it go! BUT I have a friend who is a horrible parent, and would continuallygive me advice on discipline ( she thought I should "whoop ass" etc) and I finally snapped and let her have it! I let her know why she should not tell me how to discipline and I let her know how I felt! She ended up losing 2 out of 5 kids to CPS, and I managed to remain friends with her and support her! But sometimes you have to put your foot down!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2011