Dog nail clipping tips?

My dog is 70lbs and strong. I can't keep her still and her nails are out of hand.

dingchow

Asked by dingchow at 11:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Pets

• I feel for ya.........maybe a mobile groomer? I am lucky, my friend does my dog's nails.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:07 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• got a petco near you
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Have DH or a friend help you. One holds, the other clips.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I clip mine all the time,but my dogs r little. I would take a dog of that size to a pet groomer.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Our German Shepherd is 106 lbs and he just lays there,lol... I just sit with him on the floor and do it. It's a trust thing I would think.

Maybe get some treats, put them in your pocket, when he lays down, give him a small piece, then let him sniff the clippers, then another small piece, then put the clipper on his nail, and clip, then if he does well give him another small piece. It's just an idea. Our dogs have never been afraid of the clippers, so it's been an easy task.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The vet can also do it- ours does it for about $5 :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Get a special treat that he only gets when you're clipping his nails. Something he can chew on like a pigs ear. Show him the clippers then show him the treat. take his foot, give him the treat. Start to clip his nails. If he tries to pull away or fight, take the treat. When he calms down, take his foot and give him back the treat. He will eventually associate nail clipping with a tasty treat and even get excited when he sees the clippers. You may also want to try filing his nails instead of clipping. You're less likely to cut the quick and hurt him and most dogs find it to be a more comfortable option. It sounds like someone may have clipped a nail too short in the past or hasn't had his nails cut before.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You need someone to help you hold your dog. Have her lay down on her side and wrap a beach towel around her, including her legs if possible. Your helper should have some bits of cheese and as you clip, give her a little piece every nail you do.

I use a dremel on my dogs' nails, but the noise does take some getting used to for the animal.

Otherwise, take her to a groomer or a vet and pay the fee for the nails. It might be worth it!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011