Sister calls my son a mama's boy.

First of all, my son is not even a year old ( 11 mos. ). He is in a shy stage and we live an hour away from most family, so he doesn't see them often. When we visit family or friends that he doesn't see often, he wraps his arms around my neck and puts his cheek against mine for comfort. If I have to leave the room to use the bathroom, he crawls up to the bathroom door crying and waits for me to come out. When I do, I get a huge "Don't ever leave me again!" hug and the tears dissappear instantly.
My sister's son is 7, rude, loud, and in a defiant stage. He refuses to listen to my sister about anything and actually tells her to shut up and mind her own business when she tells him to clean his room. She doesn't see a problem with this, except to blame it on his father that he only sees for a few hours a week. She never uses actual punishment with her kids, just empty threats, so they are all completely out of control ( think Super Nanny material ).
First of all, my son is too young to be a mama's boy, but even then, what is wrong with a baby loving his mother and prefering her over aunts he sees a dozen times a year? She says it like its a very negative thing to be a mama's boy, but I don't see a problem with a little boy showing affection for his parents. Opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like jealousy to me.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 11:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I would say "aww..yeah I know he is..thankyou...:)" He can't help it if he loves his mama so much...ALL 3 of my children are that way.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Tell her that hurts YOUR Feelings and to not say that -and its NOT a bad thing - use your sisters parenting and empty threats as what NOT to do with your son-
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yeah...i would say, "Yes, he knows his momma loves him. And he loves me back." And then walk off smugly. LOL Because she will stew.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I always call my son a mama's boy. So what if he is?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Well my son is 6 and I guess you could call him a Mama's boy, he comes to me first, and now likes to visit other people, but sounds like sister is a bit jealous,, I bet DAD is in your kiddo's life and she is resentful,, I will tell you that if SHE ever says this in front of him,, I would 100% put her in her place, even though he is little he can understand the gist of what she is saying,, I would say if you ever say that in front of my child again, you and I are going to have big problems,, perhaps you should get your mirror out and ask yourself why your son won't listen to you,,, whose boy is he?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:21 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• 11 months is a typical age where babies feel separation anxiety. Just let him cling, it will pass... Ignore your sister - she needs to work on her own family. Tell her that if she annoys you too much.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You have my sympathies. She might be jealous. She might simply be so unsatisified with her life that picks at anything that takes the focus off her shortcomings. I heard that exact same thing from a "friend" once. I felt the same way as the ladies above. I told her all mommas should be so lucky. My son is 21 now, and he is still a "momma's boy." He loves me to death, and I love him no less.
    swizzleday

Answer by swizzleday at 11:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• At 11 months old I hope he's still a mama's boy. I agree with the other posters, just tell sis thanks for the compliment.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011