To those of you with big families.

At Christmas how do you divide up the day between everyone and looking at everyone opening their presents and giving them attention during the present opening time? Before it's always been a free for all and someone's always ended up in tears, or a bit het up, which obviously was solved easily, but I want to avoid it in the first place this year. How do you guys deal with it? I've got 7 this year. It sounds really silly, but do you take it in turns with your kids opening presents or just let them all dive in? Thanks.

haleykarson

Asked by haleykarson at 4:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• We take turns Christmas eve at my grandparent's house because there's so many people...we just go around in a circle.

At home we have just three and they all just tear into them, lol. We aren't having anymore kids...at least not planned.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• We have five kids and they take turns.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 4:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My hubby's family just all dive in. You never get to see what everyone gets. My family has always taken turns. It takes longer, but you get to see everyone's presents.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• We spend christmas eve at my mom's w/ my family, there's about 30 of us (siblings, spouses, grandkids). It's pretty much a free for all, but we've never had any problems. Christmas day is spent with the in-laws, and they take turns, youngest to oldest. Kinda boring after the ruckus at my mom's though :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2008