Help me deal with my almost 4yr old melt downs....

I'm having problems with my 3 year old (almost 4). His behavior is just out of control. He doesn't listen at all, has extreme meltdowns where he just screams in a high pitched voice, and there is just no reasoning with him. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think the 3's/4's are just a hard age period.. I have gotten to the point I refuse to listen to his fits and put him in his room, when he calms down enough to talk, he can come out.. that's the only thing I've found that works right now
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• This can be helped , many parents struggle with these "melt downs" also known as tantrums. There are some great short video clips at http://www.toddlerbedandmore.com on how to control a child's tantrum and you can find this under the Toddler Tips For Parents tab. Good luck and do not be discouraged!
    toddler101

Answer by toddler101 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It is hard to reason with a child once the child is in full tantrum or having a meltdown. I would suggest allowing him to have his tantrum time. Once he calms down try and teach him the technique of counting to 10. Let him know it is okay to be angry but screaming is not okay. Calmly teach him how to take a deep breath and slowly count to 10. This may help to re-direct his anger, and hopefully calm him down. Let him know its okay to tell you how he feels, communicating may help him talk his way through his frustrations. Always praise good behavior. A good idea is a behavior chart allowing him to pick out his stickers and place them on when he is good. If he gets so many stickers then plan a day to do something special like a trip to the park. Once he sees the rewards for good behavior hopefully he will want the positive attention and not the negative.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• See I have been reading all these different post about our 3 and 4yr. olds lol and like I have always said 2yrs they are good when 3 comes around thats when they start to become trouble lol. My four kids were all the same I had no problems when they were 2 then when they became 3 they started to open up more get into more things talk more you know show them selfs more its just some thing they do to learn about life and we just tell them whats right and wrong they are only 3 lol so it goes away.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2011