Foster Care

My husband and I have looked into foster care on several occasions. Being in the military and moving every few years has made it difficult. Some of the rules and regulations have made it difficult as well. We were denied at one place because we don't belong to the Baptist Church. Another time we were denied because we have a previous bankruptcy (paying off credit cards from a previous spouse). With so many kids out there who need homes why are they turning people away who had a bankruptcy years ago or who don't belong to the Baptist Church? I understand that these kids need stability and that moving every few years might not be the best. But isn't it better than being in a group home til lthey turn 18?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Adoption

• If you chose a Baptist adoption organization, that's why your religion matters. Through the state it shouldn't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Denied because you don't belong to a Baptist church??? Bet that was a private run program and they have the right to deny anyone.

Denied because of previous financial issues - they are making sure you aren't going into the program for the wrong reasons - the money the kids get from the state. Too many people do that and that's exactly why the Foster Care program is failing, too many people go into it thinking they can make money and the kids end up being neglected. Not saying that is you, just saying that is one reason you could have been denied because of the bankruptcy issue.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:21 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I am certified with the state of KY for fostering and I don't quite understand how a previous bankruptcy would effect you as long as you are financially stable presently. Part of the issue may be you moving so frequently since these kids cannot move across state lines w/o an adoption and they are looking for a stable home (when I say stable I mean more permanent) since these kids get moved around so much as is.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 11:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• We make good money. We take good care of our child. We are looking into foster to adopt. And any money we got from the state would go straight into an account for the child. I know many are into it for the money. But we now have a healthy savings account, a nice retirement fund, and a college account for our daughter.

We belong to the Methodist Church. Our local adoption place is Baptist. We have not tried going through the state yet.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Foster Care doesn't give a rat's patootey what religion you are. My parents had a past bankruptcy on their credit and were able to adopt through foster care 4 times, so I think that is pretty bogus too.

I agree with wendydays- if you are being denied it is probably because you have to move around so much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• These are reason's we have actually been given.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Shaken- I have to say anyone who does fostercare for money is out of their minds!!!! I put WAY more $$$ into the children then what I get in return. What age group are you looking for? Babies and kids with very little "therapeutic needs" are usually through the state. If an older child or someone with more severe trauma comes through the system they are usually placed in a group or fostercare agency. Also sibling groups are placed in agencies that have a higher chance of keeping the kids together.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 11:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• We have been advissed to keep them younger than my daughter. She is eight. We would not mind taking a small sibling group. As far as trauma or major needs we both are in the Military so it might be a little difficult. We are both fairly fluent in ASL so a deaf child would be okay.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I wish you much luck in being able to adopt. There are many children that would love for you to become their mother. Why is moving even an issue? Many military families move frequently and those kids grow up just fine. no matter how often you move the children would still be with the family. I'd just keep fighting the system, I wouldn't give up, I wouldn't take no for an answer.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have yet to meet a military family that has been allowed to foster. Since they aren't guaranteed that they will be there for a long time, it just isn't usually allowed. You might try again after you retire.
    Anonymous