jaundice???

anyones else's baby have jaundice and how do you know when it's clearing up?beside the baby not being yellow anymore. its kinda worrying me being this is my first baby....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as you are noticing less jaudice you are probably okay. Most Drs will recheck the Bilirubin level again in a week or so. You can expose the baby to indirect sunlight by a window too. The sun helps break down the Bili that the liver is too immature to handle. Its pretty normal.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• my son was fine, but then when i got home i thought that having the lights on all the time would hurt his little eyes. so he got a little bit of jaundice... so i just opened the windows and let some light in. doctors didn't even know about it, cuz it came and went before his 1 week appt..as for knowing other than not being yellow anymore, i don't really know any other way. sorry
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• They gave me the billiblanket to take home, but shes still really yellow in her face and eyes...
    Anonymous

• What are her levels? My son was put into the NICU when his level hit 21 and then they sent us home with the blanket when he made it down to 12 for a couple more days. Are you constantly keeping her on the biliblanket? She also needs to be drinking a lot. They actually had my son drink extra to flush the bilirubin out when he was in the NICU. I think he was drinking almost 3 ounces a feeding at every feeding. Are you Breast Feeding? My milk wasn't in like it should have been and that's why my son's jaundice got out of control. He wasn't eating enough to flush it out, so we had to supplement formula so the jaundice would go away.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My daughter had the bili tests for two days. The level on the second day was lower so doc said she was fine. She went back for a recheck not too long after that and he just checked her color. I think what helped my daughter best was formula. She wasn't gaining weight right so obviously wasn't getting the breastmilk she needed from me. I had a hard time of it one night so hubby gave me the night off and got up with her at each feed and gave her formula. She looked soooooo much better the next day. And after a night off for me, the pain was sooooooo much better too! Win win. (yes, I continued to breast feed after that but with extra fat aka low birth weight formula suppliments) The key is to make sure they get enough fluid to help flush their system.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• The yellow is your best sign. What did your doctor tell you to do? Your doctor would most likely tell you if there was another thing to be concerned about...
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• i think she was a 6 or 7, I am breast feeding and I make sure she eats every 2 hours during the day and 3 at night. the doctor never tested her levels when i took her for a jaundice checkup he just said use the light till monday, i asked if i had to put her in it all the time bc she hated it he said nevermind it then, but i took it with an still did it for a few hours a day. Shes a week old today. Don't they poop yellow or something when its clearing up?
    Anonymous

• dont worry about it, unless thedoctors gave you a reason to do so. My son was sent home with jaundice, and after about a week, he was totally fine, and then at his 2 week apt. he was given the all clear.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 7:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• GET IN THE SUN! The sun is the best thing for jaundice. 15 min in a window than 15 out for an hour. my oldest son was really bad after a few days of that he was back to normal.
    EMTmom119

Answer by EMTmom119 at 7:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• The PP is right, the sun is good, but if it's already pretty cold where you are then you might get her body temp too cool by stripping her down and putting her in a window this time of year. This is what the Dr. told me last year.

It sounds like you're feeding her good. When the bilirubin starts coming out in her poop, the poop will have a weird texture. I dont' exactly remember what it looked like, but I guess just little pieces of stuff you know you didn't feed her. Maybe sort of oatmealy looking.

6 or 7 is no where near a danger level so just keep flushing it out of her by feeding her.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2008