Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice on Divorce please - have no money

I am having marital problems and recently discovered my DH is contacting an old gf on Facebook, i have some proof and have not confronted him yet, but the messages are pretty bad. If we do end up getting a divorce, is there a way to go about it that won't cost an arm, leg, or the first born?

We've got 5 kids ranging from 5-16 whom I homeschool, and I've not worked since we got married 15 yrs ago. Is there such a thing as a non-expensive divorce when there are kids involved? I'm sure we'll at least need some sort of mediator, I will definitely want and need child support and alimony. I don't see him as being unreasonable, but I'm sure he's not going to want to hand over his whole paycheck either.

My brother is in the middle of a nasty divorce right now that should have been cut and dry. There were no kids, no house, just a lot of bills, loans, and a few cars. She is being a real pita and is completely non-responsive. My brother is practically bleeding money right now, paying his bills, her bills (his name is on them), paying the lawyer, etc. If this scenario were to happen to me, and I have no income, how on earth would we manage?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Absolutely! I pay 36 bucks for my lawyer and I can stop at any time. But, I like to have him for just-in-case cases. It's really easy to sign up for. It's actually available in every state. If you would like more info on how to get started just send me a message!

    Answer by kbishop8688 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • Try to find out if you have a LEGAL AID SOCIETY in your area. Good Luck.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • I think it's way too soon to be thinking of giving up on your marriage. There are too many other options and even the possibility that things are not what you think they are. And even if he's talking to an old girlfriend, why on earth would you not fight for your husband and the father of your children? There ain't no woman big enough to take my husband away from me and his family. Where's your spunk?

    Answer by NannyB. at 11:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • well if you don't want to pay for a lawyer, sit down with your husband and tell him you want the divorce and discuss what your options are. try to agree on alimony and child support. if there are assets like your home and cars you need to figure that out too, but if your husband isn't going to cooperate then you will have to get an attorney.

    Answer by lucky35 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2011